lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default upgrading the clutches?

I was just wondering if the clutches can be upgraded ? Are there any other clutchs that can be used like a roller clutch from any snow mobile engines,i'm sure a spring change would be in order. Mainly just curious,As I see where comets #94 clutch is listed as being used in several differant app with differant bores. Are the EZGO's crank tapers unique to the robuns and subaru's engines , or are they a universal taper? Has anyone done much reaserch on this as to what parts fir which carts. Alot of these older carts are getting harder to find parts for unless you buy new and by the time you spend 5-600 bucks on new clutchs you have as much in the cart as what they are worth. Sure would be cool if there was an interchange guide of some kind.
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: upgrading the clutches?

Yes, it has all been done taper is common and adapter to straight shaft available. Many aftermarket clutch springs and replacements available too but, at the end of the day you still have a 9 or 11 hp engine and the stock units are quite adequate for that.

Check out site sponsor CPP
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Yes, it has all been done taper is common and adapter to straight shaft available. Many aftermarket clutch springs and replacements available too but, at the end of the day you still have a 9 or 11 hp engine and the stock units are quite adequate for that.

Check out site sponsor CPP
I understand that, but I'm picking up a cart with no clutchs , And I realize there are new ones available. Haven't you ever built something where you have to sub parts other than what were intended to be used?Like when I put a small block chevy in my 46 willys jeep, I had to use a ford clutch disc to match the splines on the tranny.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Well yes, I have done that about a million times
Is there a list of parts to do it with!? I don't know. Maybe somebody does... used clutches can be had for as little as $50 I don't know if you can do any better than that?

Good Luck.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
lomcevac
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Stock clutches and heavier springs work great. Makes night and day difference in a cart. I would probably go that route, would be much cheaper, and just as good for performance unless you are planning on a big block.
lomcevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I think from what I have been reading Polaris uses the same taper, Same as the honda FL350. But I will find out . I think it would be useful info to some people.BUT they wouldn't have the pully for the starter, Thats on the drive clutch.But maybe one could be added. I havr fl250 clutches so I will check them out also.I'm posting this for informational purposes. Could be handy for someones future use. Raises my post count up to so I can be wild like the rest of you guys.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO