lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
ThatguY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Motor or controler????

So i'm trying to do as much reasearch as possible before i make my selections to upgrade my 98 series cart. So the question is why wouldn't you start with a motor first that are making claims of speed and torque increases using a stock 36v 275amp controller....... then having the ability to buy a larger controller when the stock system takes a dump. I'm assuming that the stock controller will last a little while based on abuse levels. I do see that most people are going with the controller first and or 48 volt( i'm mostly refering to the controller) , maxing out the stock motor then upgrading the motor. Will it work equally in the reverse method... motor then controler and 48volts????????Thinking that you might be able to go to a 700 amp system on a stronger motor after you replace the stock one. ?
ThatguY is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor or controler????

yeah, you can do that. I think most people are disappointed with the performance of a built motor on stock controller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
terry2shot
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The stock motor has more potential than the controller will allow it to develope. Think of the motor as a large displacement car engine and the stock controll as a small carborator. See where this is going. Want more power out of that stock engine, put a bigger carb on it. But putting that small carb on an even larger engine will not be very efficient.
terry2shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
ThatguY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well my though is that I know where i probably want to end up and i would hate to buy a controller now and have to replace it when i decide the stock motor isnt enough. The 700 amp lgs contoller is to much for the stock motor right???? and how many amps can these motors safely take.... ie d&d102 or a pq motor( dont know what size options)????
Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
ThatguY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm guessing that i have to decide what i want then buy everything at once if i want something that performs on the higher end of the spectrum(not the top!)
Old 04-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Or at least know what you want to end up with and start toward it.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
SimpleMan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatguY View Post
Well my though is that I know where i probably want to end up and i would hate to buy a controller now and have to replace it when i decide the stock motor isnt enough. The 700 amp lgs contoller is to much for the stock motor right???? and how many amps can these motors safely take.... ie d&d102 or a pq motor( dont know what size options)????

You can't run a 48v 700 amp controller with a stock motor? That's kind of my plan for a little while til I get the funds up for a new motor. What's the deal experts?
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A common misconception about speed controllers is that they put amperage into the motor. They do not. They ALLOW the motor to draw amperage. Think of them like a gate valve in a water line. The water is amperage, the bigger the valve(controller) the more water (amperage) can flow in the pipe (cables) to the motor.... A speed controller is rated by amperage. The higher the rating the more amperage can flow through it.

This is why one person can drive cart X for 2 years with a 1000 amp controller and a stock motor and person #2 can't drive it for a weekend without melting something!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
TheInlet
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatguY View Post
I'm guessing that i have to decide what i want then buy everything at once if i want something that performs on the higher end of the spectrum(not the top!)
Save $$$$ and time buy everything at once and from one of the sponcer on this form thay wont rip you off
TheInlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
ThatguY
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I "can" buy your lgs 700 controller scotty and kinda cross my fingers but, should not draw anymore amperage than the 480 in theory unless under super high stress like a stalll situation. This will allow me to have the controller to do an upgraded motor in the future ........ am i thinking right? Or do you not suggest this plan of action because in most cases it will fail immediatly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO