lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #21
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Stereo wiring expert(s) needed

That's what I'm saying on a electric cart everything is connected to the frame so it wouldn't work. It would be grounded correct? The boat windsheild isn't connected to ground of the boat so it's fine as in the gas golf cart it works.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #22
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stereo wiring expert(s) needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
That's what I'm saying on a electric cart everything is connected to the frame so it wouldn't work. It would be grounded correct? The boat windsheild isn't connected to ground of the boat so it's fine as in the gas golf cart it works.
Andy, it is not grounded......not in any way, shape or form.

What makes you think it's grounded? The shield on the coax connector goes nowhere. Only the center conductor is used and trust me that isn't grounded.
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #23
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Lightbulb Re: Stereo wiring expert(s) needed

The wire inside the antenna wouldn't ground through the radio back to the frame?
I'm just asking because I don't know.
I have seen carts burn because of radio's grounding out and last summer was riding one that the antenna on it was a amperfier one and it caught fire as we rode it.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #24
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
The wire inside the antenna wouldn't ground through the radio back to the frame?
I'm just asking because I don't know.
I have seen carts burn because of radio's grounding out and last summer was riding one that the antenna on it was a amperfier one and it caught fire as we rode it.
Burn? Umm, no there's no path to ground via the center conductor of the antenna.

Those with an amplifier, which is the one I'm using BTW, uses 12v and yes "ground", but the "ground" is really the low side of the AUX battery and not the frame of the cart.....

Now if someone attaches the radio frame/enclosure to the frame of the cart somehow then all bets are off....then it would be "grounded" to the frame. However, that in of itself is not a hazard that would not cause anything to catch fire, or burn.

Whether it's referenced to the frame or not isn't relevant because an appropriately sized fuse should protect the wiring.
Note I said wiring because a common misconception is that fuses protect components. Not true, their primary purpose is to protect the interconnecting wiring.
The component is replaceable and therefore considered expendable.

My radio is mounted in the ball storage area and is entirely insulated from the chassis.....but my antenna does have an external amplifier which is powered by 12V. It's still not grounded in any way.......
Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #25
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Do not confuse ground with ground plane. Two very different items.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #26
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Do not confuse ground with ground plane. Two very different items.
If you're addressing me Gorno I'm very familiar with "Ground Plane" in terms of electrical design.

When we speak of grounding in a cart, or an automobile for that matter, that has a metal frame that could be used for purposes of grounding then it is implied that it would be a "ground plane".....

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make as they really are one in the same when in context....One would never, with the caveat of level of sobriety, "ground" their carts to earth.

Is that what you mean?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #27
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

No, I was not addressing you TBD. I saw a discussion on grounding antennaes and wanted to make the distinction.

The stray ground voltage found on most sparky carts CAN cause reception problems if the antennae is also grounded. If a transmitter is invovlved (CB, Ship-Shore, etc.) it gets real crazy. The ground must be isolated and an antennae with an internal artificial ground plane must be employed to allow RF transmission to occur.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #28
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
No, I was not addressing you TBD. I saw a discussion on grounding antennaes and wanted to make the distinction.

The stray ground voltage found on most sparky carts CAN cause reception problems if the antennae is also grounded. If a transmitter is invovlved (CB, Ship-Shore, etc.) it gets real crazy. The ground must be isolated and an antennae with an internal artificial ground plane must be employed to allow RF transmission to occur.
Gotch'a....Sometimes we use the term "Return" when delineating a common "ground plane" from one that's unique such as in your post. Usually it's suffixed with ANT RTN or something like that.....alerting the person reading the schematic that it a unique return and seperate from everything else....
Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #29
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Everyone in this thread knows just enough about this stuff to be "dangerous", LOL. Myself included! I'm sure we have completely muddied the waters for the OP at this point!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #30
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Stereo wiring expert(s) needed

OK.
then if you buy this type antenna and mount it as described on a electric cart there is no problem with it grounding. My three carts I have radio's in are all in locations that want ground to the frame. In fact one isn't even bolted in it just sits in the glove box. Thanks the water is starting to clear up!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO