lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO PDS 48V upgrade questions.

Kinda old post, 5/11/2008. I suspect the OP has already done sumpin'.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagrad View Post
Like what others have said...the 48 volt is hands down the best initial investment you can do for your golf cart. 30% more speed and torque. 8 6v battery is a best route: 1) increases the range of your vehicle. 2) its much cheaper adding 2 more batteries then buying 6 new 8v.

For an extra $100 I would recommend upgrading to 2 gauge cables. I purchased 3 sets of 72" 2 gauge cables (17.99ea) and 8 pair of terminals (2.29 pair) at autozone instead of buying pre-made sets for 200.00 + at any website. This route allows for flexibility and customization (yes, you have to crimp them yourself). btw: 4 gauge only saves you 5-10 bucks overall so 2 gauge is a best buy. if you don't upgrade the cables...you'll be sorry. I had a battery terminal melting...and my golf cart stopped. Luckily I was only 2 blocks from my home. (i pushed it)

Once you are done with those two upgrades...there are plenty of 48v chargers out there. I did the research....and settle on the 48v genius on board charger. They go for $400 brand new at some sites...but $179 at amazon. (that is a steal) Wire the charger +, - cables pairing up batteries..and you are set. The charger weighs about 5lbs..and sits in your vehicle..instead of that huge box that sits at home.

FYI: i took my cart one extra step. purchased a 12v battery to power the accessories in my cart (head&break& turn signal lights, stereo,etc). Of course this does require a separate charger ($25), but if for any reason your main battery runs out or fails...you have that one remain to get you home. :) call it...."insurance"

12v automotive battery jumper cable is not the same as welders cable. Why would it be? Car starters draw what 50 amps MAX?
And our controllers are rated 300-400-500 amps and up ? We use welders cable because it is designed to deliver high amperage & it is water, fuel, and acid resistant...
Do some more research before you run gas car cables on your DC vehicle
Start with a strand count.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
dagrad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
12v automotive battery jumper cable is not the same as welders cable. Why would it be? Car starters draw what 50 amps MAX?
And our controllers are rated 300-400-500 amps and up ? We use welders cable because it is designed to deliver high amperage & it is water, fuel, and acid resistant...
Do some more research before you run gas car cables on your DC vehicle
Start with a strand count.
I never mentioned anything about the two cables being the same. The "separate" 12v battery is to power all my accessories. it is not connected to the motor by any means or the other 6v's. if the day ever comes that my 48 volt batteries leaves me hanging...I've got some assurance besides pushing my cart, of course it will require some macguyver. and yes, i'll be going quite slow..but it beats pushing.

Pay attention to what people actually write as suppose to "filling in" your own perceptions.

KNOWLEDGE doesn't have a strand count.
dagrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

I'm willing to bet that the guy with 42,265 posts knows what he's talking about....

aren't many people here more knowledgeable then Scotty - "strand count" or not
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagrad View Post
I never mentioned anything about the two cables being the same. The "separate" 12v battery is to power all my accessories. it is not connected to the motor by any means or the other 6v's. if the day ever comes that my 48 volt batteries leaves me hanging...I've got some assurance besides pushing my cart, of course it will require some macguyver. and yes, i'll be going quite slow..but it beats pushing.

Pay attention to what people actually write as suppose to "filling in" your own perceptions.

KNOWLEDGE doesn't have a strand count.
If your pack gets so depleted that the cart won't run, McGivering a 12v battery into the drivetrain won't even power up the controller or engage the solenoid. You'll be pushing it home while you mutter "strand count" under your breath.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
If your pack gets so depleted that the cart won't run, McGivering a 12v battery into the drivetrain won't even power up the controller or engage the solenoid. You'll be pushing it home while you mutter "strand count" under your breath.
Mc Giver would use his tube sock and the battery from his wristwatch to convert the motor to 12v and drive home
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO