lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G2/G9 acceleration questions..

Mine will slow right down and stop, and still be idling. In fact when it starts to creep at idle I know its time for a shot of grease in the clutch.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
CajunLoneWolf
The Pro in procrastinate!

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Mine will slow right down and stop, and still be idling. In fact when it starts to creep at idle I know its time for a shot of grease in the clutch.
I'm thinking my belts maybe to tight. The starter will roll the cart so I cant just sit and idle, but then again the drive and starter belts are brand new
CajunLoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
DRAGMACEDAD
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys for the rapid responses. This is a 1993 G9... Heading out of town tonight so any investigation will have to wait a few days.. but feel free to keep the suggestions coming, I can handle it..

Thanks again gang.. love this site..
DRAGMACEDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunLoneWolf View Post
I'm thinking my belts maybe to tight. The starter will roll the cart so I cant just sit and idle, but then again the drive and starter belts are brand new
New drive belt will be sticky and drag, make the cart creep on starter. Don't do anything until it wears in a little, or ride down some dusty trails for a couple days.

If your clutch is dirty/dry you can pull the clutch out, jump on cart and see if it drags on the starter. If it does not then, lube the clutch up that should help (with a broke in belt).

I set the tensioner with a GPS, it worked perfectly. The tighter it is the better takeoff under load but then you lose top speed. So I found a little steep hill and floored it from a dead stop to see how high it would rev, then went down a flat drive to top speed with the GPS. I tightened it until I lost speed, then blacked it off a little. It still would rev after a couple seconds on the steep hill and walk right up it, it would rev faster with it tighter but who wants to lose top speed lol. It does 28 on dirt and 26 with it too tight, it does 28 with the tensioner very loose so pretty sure it will not shift out all the way with belt too tight.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
CajunLoneWolf

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGMACEDAD View Post
Thanks guys for the rapid responses. This is a 1993 G9... Heading out of town tonight so any investigation will have to wait a few days.. but feel free to keep the suggestions coming, I can handle it..

Thanks again gang.. love this site..
Try these couple of small adjustments like Sho suggested. I know they made a world of difference on my cart and let us know how it does
Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
CajunLoneWolf

Yamaha

Quote:
New drive belt will be sticky and drag, make the cart creep on starter. Don't do anything until it wears in a little, or ride down some dusty trails for a couple days.

If your clutch is dirty/dry you can pull the clutch out, jump on cart and see if it drags on the starter. If it does not then, lube the clutch up that should help (with a broke in belt).

I set the tensioner with a GPS, it worked perfectly. The tighter it is the better takeoff under load but then you lose top speed. So I found a little steep hill and floored it from a dead stop to see how high it would rev, then went down a flat drive to top speed with the GPS. I tightened it until I lost speed, then blacked it off a little. It still would rev after a couple seconds on the steep hill and walk right up it, it would rev faster with it tighter but who wants to lose top speed lol. It does 28 on dirt and 26 with it too tight, it does 28 with the tensioner very loose so pretty sure it will not shift out all the way with belt too tight.
Sho is that with the power/torque spring or the stock one???? Pretty good numbers either way
Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunLoneWolf View Post
Sho is that with the power/torque spring or the stock one???? Pretty good numbers either way
Its mostly stock, I did drill holes in the weights but made little if any difference. Took the stock spring out and did stretch it out longer, not sure that made much difference either but maybe some. I was trying to pull boats on trailers. What really helped was cutting down the helix, I made a jig and cut the last 1/3 or so of ramps down a little. It stays in low more at low speeds high throttle. So once I get to 1mph or so it revs and pulls better. A new belt helps, setting the tensioner that way helped too. Also cut sheave helps I put one on another cart. Mind you I was trying to get more torque at <5mph and dead start conditions. Now the engine is getting worn out that makes it worse, the clutches react differently with less power, worse. At higher speeds and part throttle it acts pretty stock and works fine. Also the 22s on it get larger with more air so they measure 23 tall when I put 15psi in the rears. I can just make 30 gps on a paved road or hard gravel, but not on the sandy gravel I was running on only 28 there....and I've run that lots of times its the one in the video this should have topped at 28.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
CajunLoneWolf

Yamaha

Quote:
Its mostly stock, I did drill holes in the weights but made little if any difference. Took the stock spring out and did stretch it out longer, not sure that made much difference either but maybe some. I was trying to pull boats on trailers. What really helped was cutting down the helix, I made a jig and cut the last 1/3 or so of ramps down a little. It stays in low more at low speeds high throttle. So once I get to 1mph or so it revs and pulls better. A new belt helps, setting the tensioner that way helped too. Also cut sheave helps I put one on another cart. Mind you I was trying to get more torque at <5mph and dead start conditions. Now the engine is getting worn out that makes it worse, the clutches react differently with less power, worse. At higher speeds and part throttle it acts pretty stock and works fine. Also the 22s on it get larger with more air so they measure 23 tall when I put 15psi in the rears. I can just make 30 gps on a paved road or hard gravel, but not on the sandy gravel I was running on only 28 there....and I've run that lots of times its the one in the video this should have topped at 28.
YouTube - &#x202a;Spin on G9.wmv&#x202c;&rlm;
That's a pretty cool video there Sho Don't think I will go through as much trouble as you did though. If it would get to that point I would just smile and say I'm satisfied with the performance
Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I lifted this cart myself in '99. There was nothing, so I started screwing with things to see what would help. I moved a 19' FG boat with a V8 I/O after tinkering around with it. It has been good for a long time but last few years engine getting weak. Ran the snot out of it this whole time with no governor or rev limit, and synthetic oil. Still does not burn a drop but does not have the power it did, only when cold it still runs nice. You get a 10% drop in power then the clutches work differently, not as well. I've been very happy with it, and more to come if I eevveeerrr get the clone in it. This summer not going as planned!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha