lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Different battery cable sets for PDS?

So I stuck my head under the seat last night, to clean up the "rigging" for my lights and stereo, just to get all the wires neat and secure. I noticed that two of my battery cables (short ones) were 4 AWG and everything is 6 AWG

I know it can't be good for my pack, but is it bad? I plan on upgrading to 4 AWG very soon anyway but here's the question:

There are many different sets available: 5 cable set for batts only, 7 cable set with 24" ones that go to controller, and then the complete 10 cable set with the 50" cables. I'm trying to work on a budget here, but plan to upgrade the controller in the future. Can I get away with the 7 cable set for just the batteries and TO the controller? Will it bite me in the a$$ later on for not changing the cables that run to the motor?

(stock size tires)
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Different battery cable sets for PDS?

I'm new to carts also, but I know a little about electricity.

Total current flow goes through every wire in the battery pack, controller and motor circuit, so they all ought to be the same gauge. Having a couple bigger ones won't hurt anything, but the smaller ones mixed in with the bigger ones will limit the current in the entire series circuit. (Weakest link in the chain.)

Personally, I'd replace all 10 cables with AWG 4, or larger if I had plans to up the controller and/or motor size.

I've got a 2008 TXT PDS and have a set of ScottyB's AWG 2 cables waiting to be installed. I have no immediate plans to up the controller/motor size, but the option is open should I decide to and I believe the heavier gauge cables will make the stock system more efficient in the mean time.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a series cart and at first I changed only the batteries cables to #4.I did not see any improvement until I changed all the cables to #4 then I did notice an increase in torque.
rxp-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was doing some measuring before I bought the cables, and it turns out the original cables from the controller to the motor are already 4 ga. I'll use the extra 4 ga from my battery mis-match set and be ready to roll with the 7 cable set!

Thanks for the help!
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery cables, cable, cables, pds
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO