lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Huntmaster143
Not Yet Wild

Default Chatter after 20-30 min ride

Hi guys,

Just picked up a 95 lifted cart that has a BU controller and speed/torque motor kit. It has 6 trojan batteries that were purchased in fall of '09. I test drove it for prob 10-15 min and it was fine. After getting it home, I took it for a little longer drive. After a short drive, it started to chatter on a slight hill. After letting it sit for 5 min, it would drive fine back to my barn. I also noticed a slight chatter when I drove up a hill in my yard when it was freshly charged.

I saw on another thread that it may be a bad battery, but I figured I would ask here.

I'll get some pics of it up shortly. Cosmeticly it is very clean and shows very well.

Thanks for the help!
Huntmaster143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Schunter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Chatter after 20-30 min ride

Schunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

thats the place to start batteries/cables......check voltage under load and if needed hydrometer test, make sure all cable connections are clean and tight...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Huntmaster143
Not Yet Wild

I checked all cable connections and they were tight. All batteries are filled with water properly and I used a non-digital voltage tester to check the batteries. They showed under voltage, but so did a regular 9 volt that I used to check my tester. They all tested the same at rest and I wasn't able to test them under a load yet. I will get a digital meter so I can get a better readout.

What causes the chattering? Is this a common thing when batteries go out?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes its common when the batteries are real weak...........get yourself a digital meter and load test it also might not be a bad idea to test each cell with a hydrometer..............................
Old 03-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Huntmaster143
Not Yet Wild

Here's a couple pics of my ride. I had to go out of town for a couple days, so I will check the batteries when I get back in town.

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1331399984161.jpg (63.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1331400031561.jpg (77.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

sweet cart......looks good.........................................
Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Huntmaster143
Not Yet Wild

I was able to test the batteries tonight with a digital meter finally... At rest after being plugged into the charger for a few days while i was out of town, the batteries had a 51.? total charge. I checked each battery for individual charge and they were all around 8.4-8.5 and change. So they all look good.

Then I checked each battery under a load as I drove around climbing moderate hills in my yard. Every battery would drop down to 6.? as I hit the pedal to climb the hills. After checking each battery with about the same results, I then hooked it up to the entire pack. It still showed around a 51 volt charge, but when I hit the pedal to climb the hills it would drop all the way down to 36 volts or so.

So after this test, am I to assume that all of my batteries are junk?

My buddy that went along with me to look at the cart can't believe they are garbage since they were purchased on 11/9/09 and the guy even gave me the receipt. I'm not quite so trusting, I was surprised the buggie was in great shape since the price was reasonable. So I figured something was wrong with the deal to a certain degree.

If all that is wrong is bad batteries, I still got a good deal...I hope that's all that is wrong.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

its not uncommon at all if someone put batteries in and didn,t maintain them that they go bad in 2 years it wouldn,t be the 1st time i have seen this but theres no way a set of good batteries should drop like that.........if you take hydrometer readings i bet it shows no more than marginal cells.......sorry to hear you got one with what are more than likely poorly maintained batteries......what brand are they? .........at this point i would say yes replace them and take it as a lesson learned on the importance of maintence on batteries and cables...................buy the best you can afford and remember maintaining them dosn,t cost a thing.............................
Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
Huntmaster143
Not Yet Wild

Shadowman, Thanks for all the help!

They are all Trojan T-860's. They have 69 stamped on the post and a H9 sticker on them. Can you tell anything about the batteries from those markings?

I plan on taking hydrometer readings from them this weekend and will post the results as well.

What would be the best batteries to replace these with? Would it make sense to look at going to 8-6V's? I will be using it to cruise around the property I live on (Flat 70 acres) and also where I hunt with 6-12 mile cruises in moderate hills each day. I will have the ability to charge the cart every night.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car