lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2001 EZGO Series Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowslayer View Post
No reason to take off the fenders... you just need to take off the black plastic motor cover that's between the fenders in order to access the motor.
Do I need to take off the roof in order to do that and the club holders and basket on back?
deerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

Never mind, I see what you are talking about now. It is kind of like a plastic flap on the back. I can take off the roof with ease, so I am going to do that and remove this piece.

Parts just arrived, so now I am going to stop working for the day and well....start fun working now!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
bohuntr9
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I took the body completely off. It is rivioted in and you have to drill the riviots out and replace them with the ezgo riviot kit. I will try to post some pics tomorrow.
bohuntr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohuntr9 View Post
I took the body completely off. It is rivioted in and you have to drill the riviots out and replace them with the ezgo riviot kit. I will try to post some pics tomorrow.
No need to remove the entire body, just the roof and supports, it ask comes off together. Then I unscrewed the plastic flap and had plenty of access room for the new motor. I will say though, one of those rivets got my arm real good with a nice cut as I lowered in the new motor!

I will post lots if pictures. It was not a easy as I thought doing this. The solenoid was very different than the stock one! Also the controller is much bigger and also different.

Sold my stock motor and controller for 150 bucks...was that too cheap? Craigs list guy jumped on it! Makes new think it was too cheap!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

cartsunlimited sells the dvm and also a mounting plate. it is one of the best additions you can have on an electric cart. be sure all your cables are at least 4ga. there are 13 of them on a series cart. sounds like you are coming right along.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

OK, here goes a long set of posts.

Started with taking off the roof from the body. Just 4 screws in the front and 4 that bolt to the rear. Wala, roof comes off, but it is a bit ackward to handle by yourself:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart without roof.jpg (219.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Roof.jpg (181.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

Then as someone suggested, you have to remove the back black plastic compartment to get to the motor easily. I did that and it was just a few screws and off it came. Now the motor is very accessible! Watchout...there are rivits that hold the body on and let me tell you, as you pull out and put in the new motor, they will wreck your arm with nice cuts...have about 7 of them!!

Another watchout. I measured the new motor and it was going to fit, but installing it was not as easy as in and out. I had to take off the driver side shock to allow enough room to fit the motor onto the drive train. Took 2 minutes, but just remember that. Sucks puting in the motor, then having to take it back out (more scratches on the arm)

Picture 1, black plastic
Picture 2, black plastic off
Picture 3, looking down at the old motor
Picutre 4, Old motor still attached - take off 3 screws and take off the wires and the motor just slides right off (heavy sucker)
Picture 5 - no more motor!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Plastic to get to motor.jpg (119.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg black plastic to get to motor 1.jpg (145.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Opening to get to motor.jpg (163.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Old Motor.jpg (138.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Old Motor off.jpg (47.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

One thing to remember, I labeled my wires so I could remember which one went where without having to use the diagrams out here. Just some scotch tape and a permanent marker 1, 2, 3, 4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Number wires.jpg (54.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

Next, time to mount the new motor in place. Pretty simple really! Again, watch that driver side shock, it was in the way for me to get my motor on. At the bottom of the shock, there is a nut. Just inscrew it and take out the rubber pieces and lift your shock out of the way.

Picture 1 - comparing new motor to old one
Picture 2 - make sure you grease your new motor, where the drive train will enter your motor. Everything else looked good and greased!
Picture 3 - motor in place
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor comparison.jpg (125.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0291.jpg (161.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Mounted New Motor.jpg (120.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
deerlover
Not Yet Wild

Next, which in my opinion was the hardest part...at least most complicated and scares me the most. I am still hoping I did this right.

Couple things to note. The new Solenoid and the old one are very different. Even the controller is different and I am not just speaking to the size difference.

I basically just removed the old controller with Solenoid attached so I could just reattach new wires as I moved forward in the build!

Picture one shows the old controller and old Solenoid in place:
Picture 2 shows the new controller mounted - things to note here, the new controller is much larger than the old one. two of the screws fit and held it in place nicely!
picture 3 shows the new solenoid mounted on with the wires all done up already. This is where I was sketchy as the picture and diagram did not do this thing justice and following the old wiring did not work well because they look so much more different! Also note, the screw they gave for the new solenoid did not fit very tight at all in the new controller and unfortunately, you can only get 1 screw in the new controller as the holds won't line up no matter how much I wanted them too! Also, I turned it sideways because the wires were too short to mount it up and down. I used a bigger and longer screw than what they provided. I think I will also ties this thing down somehow.
Picture 4 is just a side view of the one above:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old controller and solenoid.jpg (236.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Mounted New Controller.jpg (51.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New Solenoid in Place.jpg (103.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New solenoid in place side view.jpg (76.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO