lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
rhadley
Not Yet Wild

Default Spark comes and goes

I have a 2001 DS. The engine will run for a while but will lose the spark and the engine will die. I can stick a screwdriver in the spark plug wire and ground it while trying to start it and the spark will come back and run for a while with no problem. I thought it was a bad ignitor/coil, so I changed it. It is still doing the same thing! Any ideas?
rhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Spark comes and goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadley View Post
I have a 2001 DS. The engine will run for a while but will lose the spark and the engine will die. I can stick a screwdriver in the spark plug wire and ground it while trying to start it and the spark will come back and run for a while with no problem. I thought it was a bad ignitor/coil, so I changed it. It is still doing the same thing! Any ideas?
Sticking a screwdriver in the plug boot and you have a spark but nothing at the plug ? Bad plug could be the issue, I've seen cracked porcelain insulators plenty of times but I'd lean towards a bad RPM limiter if the plug checks out. Disconnect the limiter ground wire and let's see what that does. You also wouldn't be the first to get a bad coil/ignitor fresh from the box.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
rhadley
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help FC. when I lifted the ground wire from the limiter the spark came back. Should I replace it or run without it connected?
rhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadley View Post
Thanks for your help FC. when I lifted the ground wire from the limiter the spark came back. Should I replace it or run without it connected?
Entirely your choice rhadley. You have just bypassed one of CC's safety options, the limiter. These suckers are not cheap but you still have the physical limiter from the rear axle intact. Personally, I don't much care for either form of limitation but if you are worried and perhaps have youngsters riding your cart I would urge you to install a rev counter to keep an eye on things.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car