lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
MnGolfer
Not Yet Wild

Default Batteries

I bought new 8 volt batteries last spring, everything works fine except for the fact that I'm always adding water. Do I have 1 bad battery? I use it to golf 18 holes every week, and I'm always adding water. Looking for help, Thanks!
MnGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Volvo Farmer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Batteries

I know that the higher voltage you charge batteries with, the more water they use. Maybe your charger is set too high or not dropping back into float?
Volvo Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
MnGolfer
Not Yet Wild

It's the charger that came with the cart. As far as I can tell, there is no adjustment.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
rib33024

need to give a pack reading of the batteries volts, and a reading of each battery, 12 hour after the batteries have been off charge to get a true reading, -- how hot is it where you live?? that will have some thing to do with it, what kind of batteries are they?? interstate ?, how many hours does it take to charge the batteries?? do you let the charger turn off by it's self?? how often do you charge it?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Volvo Farmer
Not Yet Wild

Are you leaving it plugged in constantly when are not using it? I only know batteries from living off the grid. I would check voltage after it has been plugged in and not used for about 36 hours. Smart chargers will drop into a lower voltage after a period of higher voltage charging. This is called a float charge and should be around 2.2V per cell. Also if you have a bad cell, they will use more water. Best way to check that is with a hydrometer.
Volvo Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
MnGolfer
Not Yet Wild

temp has been around upper 60's to low 70's (Minnesota), today it's 90. The batteries are trojan, I plug it in at night and in the morning it's shut-off. Just bothers me cause my son has a EZ Go cart and has never had to add water. (mine is a 48 CC and his is a 36 EZ Go).
Old 05-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Water level low in ALL batteries or just one battery? Just one cell low? Water level should not be a constant problem . . . most people only check water levels but once or twice a month . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
MnGolfer
Not Yet Wild

I hadn't checked them for acouple of weeks until yesterday, and every cell in every battery was low.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
DJBlade
Gone Wild

Club Car

Could it be the type of caps being used on the batteries. I had some of those quick release type caps, and they leaked like crazy when I went in rough terrain....splashed out the acid. I tried different caps and found some that didn't leak. I rarely have to add water to my batteries now.

Just a thought...
DJBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
MnGolfer
Not Yet Wild

I don't see any leakage at all.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car