lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
manship1856
Not Yet Wild

Default Got a line on a cart...not sure what it's worth

So my "free" cart experience didn't work out. The frame was rusted through. So the search goes on...

My cousin today said he knows a guy with a 36v 98 ez-go for sale. He said it's in great shape, with only a few needs to get it going.

Namely: batteries and a controller.

So knowing that I'm going to be $1K or so in parts to get this thing running, what is a good price for this cart? He's asking $500. I want to give him like $300. What do the experts say is a good price to get this thing for?

I'd really appreciate a little guidance...or even some questions to ask the guy.

Thanks in advance!

Justin
manship1856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
golfcart2
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Got a line on a cart...not sure what it's worth

I think Anywhere from $200-$400 for the cart would be a fair price. In the end it will put you at $1200-$1400 which isn't bad for 1998. I would offer him $250 and see if he takes it. If he doesn't then say you will meet him in the middle at $350. You definitely don't want to pay $500 unless you absolutely have to because you could run into more problems with the cart...

-Chase
golfcart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
golfcart2
Not Yet Wild

Also... I would want to make sure that this cart was NOT used on a golf course. Those carts tend to be ridden hard and trashed out. Another question to ask him is: Are you the original owner? How often was the cart ridden and how was it ridden.. to drive around a neighborhood, to golf, ect...

-Chase
Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
manship1856
Not Yet Wild

Those are good questions. I'm pretty sure he's not the original owner, and I'm also pretty sure he used it on the golf course. I'm told (by my cousin) that this guy is fastidious about taking care of his stuff. Clean house, clean cars, clean carts, etc. That's all second hand information though.

$500 is definitely out of the question. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for thinking $300 is more where it should be.

Thank you for the answers.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
golfcart2
Not Yet Wild

Yeah $300 is a great price for the cart! It sounds like the cart should be in good condition, so I wouldn't have any worries. The only thing I would be concerned on is how he managed to fry the controller, because if you take care of them they should last for quite a while. If you do end up purchasing the cart make sure to do a full inspection of all the wiring and electric parts. You definitely don't want to fry your new controller. Good luck with your Negotiating!

-Chase
Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

If it's a clean cart I would pay $500 for it in a heartbeat. It would part out for more than that. Just depends on the market where you live I guess. I wish I could find them for that price that just needed batteries and a controller.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
manship1856
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, I figure if I've got to replace the controller and the batteries, I might as well replace the F&R and the cables. I'm gonna try and go see it on Sunday. I think if I drag the trailer with me I might get a little more leverage in my negotiation. I'm a terrible negotiator.

I'm kindof jumping the gun here since I don't TECHNICALLY have a place to put it yet. We're building a house with a 3rd bay garage/shop...won't be done till August. I'll figure it out.

I'll post pictures if I bring her home!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

A good charger is worth having.

Plan on replacing the steering housing. I have a 1998 and replaced the rack and pinion, but ended up replacing the housing, as there are internal sleeve bearings that aren't sold.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
manship1856
Not Yet Wild

It comes with a charger thank goodness. I'm sure other odds and ends will pop up as we move along. I'm starting to get excited about the project.

Next question: I know I want to move it to 48v eventually, so can I buy componants that will move to 48 yet work with 36 for now?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
golfcart2
Not Yet Wild

If I'm not mistaking the answer is no... Each individual part is set to withstand specific voltage and you can not go above or below that voltage or you can damage the part!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO