lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #21
Nate
Gone Wild

Default Re: 64v on 48v motor

To go 72V your first concern is the controller, unless stated it will not operate at 72V without burning it out.
Next concern is safety, your solenoids could be powered off a battery tap for correct voltage but the main contacts run a high risk of welding if opened then closed under load.
F/R will take damage if amperage goes too high or the F/R is changed under load.
Charging could be done with two 36V chargers. There is a possible isolation conflict to watch for when doing things like this.
Note that some can motors cannot handle 72V, I arced the comms on a can motor which destroyed it in about 10 feet on 72V.
72V and higher give awesome results but is considered an advanced modification, not really a move for the novice unless they are electrically savvy.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #22
Hoof Hearted
Gone Wild

Wasn't this thread about 64 volts?
Hoof Hearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #23
olerebel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Appears to me the best ,safest, and least troublesome way to improve performance and still use standard 48v automatic charger would be to install 36v motor in 48v cart. Just saying.
olerebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
Nate
Gone Wild

Hoof Hearted, yes this thread was about 64V originally. Problem is 64V is an odd voltage to charge.

If you are going to go above 48V go 72V unless you have specific reasons for 64V. Safest recommendation is put a 36V motor in a 48V cart... until the bug for more power bites.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
Hoof Hearted
Gone Wild

Nate

I completely understand and toyed with this idea when I was "green" also (adding a battery or two). Many folks told me to go 72v but I had a custom controller that I didn't want to replace (read this buy another) and new 8 volt batteries so I was looking for a CHEAP way out like the fellow.......chipb.......who kept asking here "what would happen if I threw in 2 more batteries?".

Since I had a 36 volt controller (from donor cart) as well as all the high end 48 volt stuff, I chose to spend 500 bucks and do an additional 36 volt bypass on my 48 volt cart and couldn't be happier....there are many ways to skin a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Hoof Hearted, yes this thread was about 64V originally. Problem is 64V is an odd voltage to charge.

If you are going to go above 48V go 72V unless you have specific reasons for 64V. Safest recommendation is put a 36V motor in a 48V cart... until the bug for more power bites.
Hoof Hearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car