lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
CarlSpackler
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v to 48v conversion

This is my first post on BGW but I have been on here quite a lot reading up on Carts as this is my first one. My first comment is a big thanks to all the people who have posted info on doing these conversions, they were very helpful in both deciding what to do, and actually doing it. Secondly I have to give props to Scottyb at Carts Unlimited. I ended up buying everything I needed from Scotty and he was great to deal with. What I liked was that he has a package deal that kept me from having to order parts from different sources and not knowing if they would all work together properly. I gave him some info on how I planned on using the cart and went on his recommendations.

I have a 36v 2003 Club Car resistor cart that I got from my Dad. I brought it up to NC from Florida and although it is in really good condition, I found it was a real dog. I took everything apart electrically and cleaned all the terminals, cables, v-glide etc, to make sure that wasn't an issue, but then figured out the main problem was that the batteries did not have optimal voltage, there were a couple of dead cells, and really weren't holding a charge. They were just never maintained right unfortunately.

So, it was either spend about $600 for batteries and hope for the best or bite the bullet and do a solid state conversion. After reading this forum a lot, I decided to go for it. I bought his C52 package with an Alltrax controller new solenoid, potentiometer, charger, digital meter, throttle conversion and a new set of cables.

There were detailed instructions on how to do pretty much everything including a wiring diagram with numbered wires from the wiring kit which made it extremely easy. I had to fabricate a platform out of some aluminum to mount the controller and solenoid, and actually that was probably the biggest part of my time. Well, other than tearing the cart down to bare bones which was really bad since it was in Florida. All the bolts were rusted solid and I had to drill about half of them out just to get the body off.

I saw a lot of discussions on batteries out here, and everyone for the most part seemed to swear by Trojan. Trojans that I could find around here were almost 2x what I paid for US Batteries. I could not justify that for the way I'm going to use the cart.

Yesterday I fired it up and could not be happier with the results. Thanks again to Scotty and to all of you that have put your conversions out here, they were very useful to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-06-16_12-45-36_453.jpg (205.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-16_13-30-50_923.jpg (190.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-24_15-20-25_179.jpg (202.3 KB, 0 views)
CarlSpackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 36v to 48v conversion

Are you still running the 36v motor?
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
CarlSpackler
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcXtreme72 View Post
Are you still running the 36v motor?
Yes, and it rocks.

I still have the stock tires and may get some taller tires. Anyone have any info on doing that on a non lifter cart?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
El Camino
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hello, I just joined BGW and I just bought a 1990 CC DS 36V (sitting in a barn) and I was wanting to do the 48v change over. Like you I was reading everything till came to your post, it looks like the easiest way to go. May I ask, about how much did the kit cost you and what batteries did you end up using? I also plan on putting a 6" lift and 24" tires on the cart.

Thanks for any help!!
El Camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
CarlSpackler
Not Yet Wild

I spent about $1300 in parts, and about $540 for batteries. Besides the controller, two of the big hitters for parts were the 48v charger and new set of cables. I hope to get some money back selling my 36v charger and who knows, maybe someone will want to buy my v-glide and other 36v stuff.

I really wanted Trojan batteries based on reputation, but in the end, over 2x the cost is not worth it to me for the way I'll use the cart. I ended up buying US Battery, 8VGCE, $89.95. With the money I saved on batteries, I bought 2 new deep cycle marine batteries for my boat.

Let me know how the lift kit goes, I'm debating doing that at some point, or at least putting on larger tires.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car