lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
94c4vette
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Emerge 48SS Battery question

Hello all,
My 2008 48SS hasn't been driven in about 8 months or so and I believe the batteries are dead. I charged the system but for some reason I don't think they charged. When I turn the key for power, I get a faint light at the power indicator, but then it goes out.
Do I need to charge them separately? I would like to exhaust all my options before taking it in anywhere to be looked at.
Also, if there's anyone in the Virginia Beach area willing to take a look at it, please let me know.
I'll try anything!!!
94c4vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
razor1
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2008 Emerge 48SS Battery question

You need to check the pack voltage. Most chargers won't charge if the pack is below a certain voltage. If you're seeing very low overall pack voltage, charge the batteries invidually until you have a pack voltage of 32+ volts then try the main charger, which should then start charging.
razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
dieseldan420
Not Yet Wild

I think charging the batteries individually makes sense. Guess you could put a volt meter on the entire pack to see if the batteries are actually charging.

Do you have Indicator lights on charger? If our cart has a Delta Q charger there are indicator lights on the front of charger that will indicate where the batteries are in the charging process. At 80% charge should see a solid amber light and a flashing green light. This is the Absorption phase. When the charger has the batteries at 100% charge Green light should be on steady.
I have a 48 volt system on my e merge2. My charger does not stop charging until the pack reaches 62 volts. That seems a little high to me. But Delta Q says this is normal. I think they enter the Absorption phase some where around 58 Volts.

If you decide to replace your batteries you may want to check with Sam's club.
They sell Duracell made by East Pen Manufacturing (Top quality battery made in the USA.) I bought a set of 6 - 8 Volt Batteries for about half of what it would have cost from the dealer. I did have to buy new cables as the post on the Duracell are slightly different than the US Batteries that came in my Cart. I had new cables made up at Napa (in St. Petersburg FL)
but there is only one store in town who has the equipment to fabricate the cables.

If you decide to replace the batteries on an individual basis (From what I understand this is not recommended by battery manufactures) you will need to get a Hydrometer and check the cells individually.

you may want to google deep cycle Flooded Lead Acid Maintenance

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Su...intenance.aspx

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
dieseldan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
94c4vette
Not Yet Wild

So, I've tried a few times to charge each battery separately. I get 5-6 volts on each battery and still no luck after hooking everything back up and plugging it in.
At first I hear the system kick in for the charge, but after about 10 seconds the red light starts blinking again. I can turn the key and get very little power, i.e., if I put it in reverse, I'll get the beeping noise. In forward, I can step on the pedal and the cart will very, very slightly lurch forward, but immediately stop. It will only do that once though.

Anything else I can try to get this thing going again? I would like to try everything possible before buying new batteries.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
electrickmotorsports
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like a bad battery. If the charger blinks a red light twice then has a pause then blinks twice again that means there isn't enough voltage in your batteries. If you get six red blinks - pause - six blinks again that means the charger is bad and you need a new one. If you have a 2008 with original batteries you probably need new batteries.
electrickmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
94c4vette
Not Yet Wild

I did go ahead and get batteries from Sams Club. From what I saw, it looked like my original cables would work, however that's not the case.
I'm wondering, what gauge cable did Tombrelin use? I assume 2 gauge, but would like to know for sure if someone knows.
I did pick up some cable from Home Depot along with some terminal connectors from Pep Boys. None of the Napa's in my have the capability to make cables for me. So, I'm on my own for those.
I have another option for cables that are already manufactured. They are 2 gauge and 15 inches long. Only issue I have with those is that they are 15 inches long and I only need the about 7 inches.
Any thoughts? Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin