lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 EZGO Gas Marathon no movement

Kenn, That is great news 135 psi shows that your engine is in excellent condition and you are now the envy of many EZGO owners. Preciador6 does have a point and it is something I have long advocated. When a 2 stroke plug craps out it does seem that no amount of cleaning will restore it. A new NGK plug is a cheap item and it is possible for a plug to fire outside the cylinder but fail under pressure.

That said from your description of the fuel flow I think that your problem lies therein. You should check the lines for cracks as well as checking for a blocked fuel filter (the easiest thing to do is just buy a new one). Then look into the tank to make sure that the pick up tube is firmly attached as well as ensuring that the vent hole is not blocked. Your fuel pump is not self priming so you could try to prime it by removing the line to the carburetor, wrapping the fuel filler with a shop rag to create a seal and blowing hard into the tank. The pressure will blow fuel through the system and send gas out of the pipe with a fair jet. If this looks good we can move on.

Another problem area, and this is very common, is worn crank seals. The good news is that if you do need to go here the parts are ~$7 so it is a cheap fix. The bad news is that it is a tedious job made more difficult by the fact that the clutch and flywheel invariably are rusted on. Still many of us have done it and with a fair share of blood, sweat, tears and berating of the Gods, you can to. Fortunately there is an easy test that will determine if a seal change or two is in your future. With everything reconnected remove the main drive belt (it will just unwind off). Look behind the clutch and along the crankshaft right into the engine where you will see the rear crankshaft seal. With a friend cranking the engine spray a liberal amount of WD40 around the seal. Should the engine tone change or if the engine should start you have found the issue.

Of course it goes without saying there could be other reasons for your failure to launch but I think that this is a logical approach.

Lets us know what transpires.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
kenns40
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hello Dave, I changed the spark plug last night and still nothing. So after work today I dove right in and took the carb apart and found that the small orfice which was in the part that allows the gas to go into the float area maybe the main jet?? Well anyways i put it all back together and she fired up with no problems!!!!! Thanks for the help I really can't thank you enough!!! I just have to do some adjustments to the carb because while I was enjoying the ride I had to play with the choke. I think the carb is missing a adjustment screw not sure that I lost it or it never came with it when I bought it!!!! But ones is missing!!!
kenns40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Kenn,

You got it running and that is all that counts, good job. Enjoy your cart.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO