lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Amberjax
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Wiring 25amp converter in 05' Precedent

Finished installing this converter in my cart last night. http://www.ebay.com/itm/290811026806...84.m1439.l2649
I thought I would take a minute to attempt to save some time for other members of this site trying to install a converter. Hope this helps someone. Note that I have radio box and headlight, turn signal and brake lights installed on my cart.
Parts & tools used:
25 amp converter (above link)
Blue Sea Systems 6 circuit fuse block w/cover # 5025
1 standard metal toggle switch that will handle 48 volts.
1 toggle switch rubber boot.
1/2 drill bit
various connectors
wire
misc. hand tools
stainless screws

Installation:
1. Move Run/Tow switch to "Tow".
2. Disconnect batteries # 1 & 4.
3. Remove battery #4 for clearance. (removing #1 optional, but saves time)
4. With a pencil, outline the outer edge (on the side of #4 battery) of the plastic cover for the controller/electronics. You will need this line to see where to mount the fuse box. Also mark the inside area around the run/tow switch in order to place toggle switch to power converter.
5. Remove the 10mm bolt and cover.
6. Position the converter (wires facing forward) on the bottom of the battery tray as far back from the front of the battery tray as possible but leave enough room to secure rear with screws. Secure w/screws.
7. Per the instructions, run wire for input ground (- side of battery #4). Make sure to leave enough wire to run through wire access at bottom of cover and up to the battery. Don't crimp on 5/16 ring connector yet.
8. Per the instructions, run wire for + input on converter to battery #1 + terminal but don't crimp on connector yet. Leave enough wire for cover...
9. Make a mark on the aluminum plate that holds the run/tow switch to locate the toggle switch (see pics) and drill hole for the switch.
10. Mount toggle switch.
11. Run "switching wire" (red w/white stripe on mine) on coverter to "LOAD" side of switch.
12. Run wire from other side of toggle switch to battery #1 + terminal. Don't crimp on connector yet.
13. Find a good spot on the front wall of the battery tray for the fuse block, noting the marks made earlier and secure with screws. Be sure to leave room for connectors on the side to be connected.
14. Run + output wire from 12v side of converter to bottom of fuse block.
15. Run - output wire from 12v side of covnerter to top of fuse block.
16. Attach accessory wires for radios, lights etc. to fuse block and add fuses as needed. Note: I had to bend the ring connectors about 90 degrees in order to clear wall in the middle and the also the cover. Not too much, to allow fuse block cover to be installed.
17. Install batteries.
18. Crimp on 5/16 ring terminals and connect batteries.
19. Re-install fuse block cover, middle cover etc.
20. Check work and enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf Cart Converter 004.jpg (325.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf Cart Converter 005.jpg (318.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf Cart Converter 006.jpg (321.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf Cart Converter 003.jpg (313.2 KB, 0 views)
Amberjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
7CLUB
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Wiring 25amp converter in 05' Precedent

Amber! That's exactly what I was envisioning! Very nice work and THANK YOU for posting it in such detail and with pics. You're awesome! I'll come back when I get mine in and comment again. Thanks.

7CLUB
7CLUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
dece1416
Not Yet Wild

Amberjax, I have the same converter and will be doing the install as soon as I get the items I need to complete it.

Quick question. The instructions for the converter say that it can be wired to the key for on/off purposes. Curious why you chose to go with the toggle switch for this. Is this a better/easier way? Also, Do I need to buy a fuse block? All i'm running will be the lights, no other accessories.

Excellent post here, i'm trying to learn as much as possible before i do this. Thank you

08 Precedent IQ 4 12 volt batteries
dece1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Amberjax
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Funny you ask that. I was going to explain that but I got rushed. I pulled the dash panel and found the wire I was going to use but my thought was I didn't want to power up all of the other electronics (controller etc.) by turning on the key and just sitting playing the radio. I mainly use mine at campgrounds and figured I would turn on the converter in the am and leave it on during the day to save the radio memory. I'm going to run a separate yellow wire to the #4 battery (where I disconnected the lights from) to save the memory, then I can switch the converter on/off as needed without killing the memory. Everyone has to wire theirs to fit their needs/circumstances. In the end, if I don't like how it's workin' , it's not too hard to move a wire or two. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Amberjax
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Also, my lights " were" powered by the number 4 battery (blue connector) which I believe was just pulling from that battery alone so I moved that circuit to the converter too. I could be wrong...
Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
dece1416
Not Yet Wild

Great info Amber. I'll probably just wire to the key. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberjax View Post
Funny you ask that. I was going to explain that but I got rushed. I pulled the dash panel and found the wire I was going to use but my thought was I didn't want to power up all of the other electronics (controller etc.) by turning on the key and just sitting playing the radio. I mainly use mine at campgrounds and figured I would turn on the converter in the am and leave it on during the day to save the radio memory. I'm going to run a separate yellow wire to the #4 battery (where I disconnected the lights from) to save the memory, then I can switch the converter on/off as needed without killing the memory. Everyone has to wire theirs to fit their needs/circumstances. In the end, if I don't like how it's workin' , it's not too hard to move a wire or two. Good luck!
dece1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car