lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
rhrabal
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 36V TXT DCS Upgrades

I have a basic cart, new batteries two years ago. Just putt around the neighborhood... I do have some hills. F/R switch under my legs. Recently, I have noticed a smell of something burning from under the seat. Upon inspection, I do not see any visible burns signs, wires or anything.. and now, she runs poorly. I was thinking, since she runs so poorly, of upgrading her mechanics. From searching the forum I have determined that the best upgrades are: new wire set, HD solenoid, HD F/R Switch, and a 400+ amp controller. Question, is there anything else I should be looking at to make this cart run better (read faster).. new motor maybe ? Also, looking at the cost involved, might it be better to simply get a newer 48V cart ?? Thank you for your suggestions.
rhrabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2007 36V TXT DCS Upgrades

IF the F&R is a rocker on the dash you have a PDS cart, simple to upgrade 24mph and 35% more torque is easy to get
If shift lever is down by your knee you have a series cart, little more involved and generally slower cart but improvements in torque & speed are possible.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
rhrabal
Not Yet Wild

Series cart... no rocker switch on dash.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You will need fresh bigger cables throughout the system to deliver the increased amperage. More amps = more torque.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
rhrabal
Not Yet Wild

Thanks.. any thoughts on the other upgrades I have read about here on the forum. Also, any thoughts on what might be "burning up" under the seat ?

Last edited by rhrabal; 04-28-2013 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

rhrabal, I would keep your batteries in the best condition that you can and leave them for now. I would Get Scottyb's upgraded controller package, Alltrax AXE400 controller, HD 48v Solenoid, & HD FNR, and 4ga Cables. I would put the HD solenoid in storage then at a later time I would buy the batteries to go 48v. That's just me though.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

DC motors consume amperage to make torque.
On a series cart, the bigger controller, cables, HD F&R etc. are all part of the amperage delivery system.
You need to match the delivery system to the controller size or you'll have delivery problems which manifest in heat and melted parts like the F&R switch.
So, bigger controller & bigger delivery system = more torque = more power & less slowing up hill.
Increasing the voltage increases the motor rpm and torque. Many people find running the stock motor on a slightly increased voltage produces more speed and torque. This is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade for a series cart in my opinion.
I hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by as350pilot View Post
rhrabal, I would keep your batteries in the best condition that you can and leave them for now. I would Get Scottyb's upgraded controller package, Alltrax AXE400 controller, HD 48v Solenoid, & HD FNR, and 4ga Cables. I would put the HD solenoid in storage then at a later time I would buy the batteries to go 48v. That's just me though.
If you get the Super Duty solenoid (400A Contentious/1000A Peak), it'll work on 36V and 42V as well as working on 48V, so you can use it now and with later voltage upgrades.

Just add a "B" suffix to the Controller/Solenoid kit#.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
rhrabal
Not Yet Wild

Awesome... thank you
Old 05-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I just re-read this your question about what's burning up ... it might be the stock Forward and reverse switch. The contacts will arc inside the rotary switch and you won't see anything but you can smell and sometimes hear them hisssss.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO