lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
skuhleman1524
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default car amplifier wires for batteries?

Hey everyone. So i have looked and looked and it seems as though most people either buy new wires as a kit, or make them with welding cable. Well I need to replace a few of my wires and figured I would replace them all with 4 ga car audio amplifier wiring. Is there any reason not to use that kind of wire? It has a thick jacket on it, high strand count, and is super flexible. I have a bunch of stinger brand 4ga laying around so I figured I would ask if it's okay to use. Also I have a bone stock 91 marathon with a controller not coils. Would going to 4 ga audio wire do anything? And I'm going to replace all 6ga wires. Just wondering if I will see any benefits. Thank you all. Love the site.
skuhleman1524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: car amplifier wires for batteries?

Most of the "Car Audio" cables I have seen have been welding cable, just more expensive, so you so be ok.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
stage
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I can answer the second part of your question. I have a 93 Marathon that was stock and changed out all the 6 ga cables with 4 ga and it made a difference you can feel. Also gained 1 mph going up slight incline on rode in front of house.
stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
skuhleman1524
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Awesome. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. I also have some 0ga wire laying around from when I did my boat system. Im thinking about using it instead of the 4 ga. This way later on if I decide to do performance upgrades I wont have to do wires as well. Im pretty sure I have about 23ft left of 0ga. I will just have to buy heat shrink and terminals.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Unless you are planning to upgrade to controller over 500A, 4Ga will suffice.

Of course, you will get an increase in efficiency with 0Ga rather than 4Ga, but you'll have to use some sophisticated test equipment to measure the difference between the two because you probably won't be able to feel it on the seat of your pants.

Use terminal lugs that closed on the ring end so they can be sealed air tight.
I prefer silver soldering, but Sn/Pb soldering or crimp works okay for a DIY project if they can be sealed properly to keep the acid laden air out of the wire strands.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
skuhleman1524
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea i plan to use closed end lugs and Marine heat shrink. Not sure what kind of solder I have but will look into it. Perhaps buy some silver solder. Anyone know what size hole is needed on the lugs to fit everything? I'm guessing 3/8. Im sure when my batteries go bad I will be upgrading to 48v which if buying a new controller would be a 500 or 600amp. So i think I will go ahead with the 0ga just to not have to worry about changing them again. I have the wire laying around and no other plans for it. The 4ga i have i would actually use wiring amps.

Thanks for all of the help everyone.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO