lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
ssr440b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Bench Testing Curtis Controller

Hi. is there a way to bench test a Curtis 1204-410 36/48volt controller? Ohm/continuity etc?
I am trying to fix my Father in Law's 1992 36 volt CC cart. It had a melt down on the control circuit where the microswitches failed and wiring litterally melted. I have tested the motor and it runs, the v-slide ohm's from 0 to 4800+, the solinoid is fried but the resistor and diode ohm something (not sure what the values should be). Also of note the green and white wires going to the motor had melted together. I have pulled them apart and will be replacing them along with the rest of the burnt wiring. solonoid and switches. The report from the Inlaws is that it continued to slow down until it just stopped, then a little smoke and nothing since then.
Thank you.
Mark
ssr440b is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Bench Testing Curtis Controller

Mark,
First, figure out what caused the meltdown and get that fixed. Then:

Curtis has a manual for that controller on their web site. It's very complete, I used it to wire my cart from scratch, using a Curtis 1205 controller. There is a complete bench test procedure in that manual. I don't remember exactly where on Curtis' site that I found the manual, but it's there.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
ssr440b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

JD, thank you. It didn't even occur to me to check the Curtis website. As for the melted wiring; I wasn't there to observe the symptoms or se it all happen, I only have my Inlaw's description to go by. "It continued to slow down, then it stopped and smoked". As you did, I am rewiring the entire cart. I looks like someone either really understood CC electric carts (not sure all of this stuss ir original to the 92 cc?) or was a complete hack (I am leaning toward the latter). Either way, I got rid of the crimp-connectors and scotch locks and it looks much better now.
Thank you again for the info.
Mark
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
ssr440b
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

JD, my internet skills are a bit lacking.. I haven't been able to find the Curtis controller web page that includes the bench testing proceedure.
Any additional help would be appreciated.
Mark
Old 05-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/1204_05.pdf

Try the link above
CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Mark,
CRK has the pointer to the manual that I have. The bench test procedure is towards the end of the manual. As I have a couple of those controllers that I picked up at the scrapyard, I've considered rigging up the test, just so I'd know if those are any good or not.

I used the Curtis diagrams in that manual to wire my 1979 CC from scratch, even included a F/R contactor to replace the big switch by the driver's knee. The contactor came from a 24 volt pallet truck; I put a resistor in series with the coil common. Works great!

Good luck to you!

Jim
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how to
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car