lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
pmangr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1996 DS chaging issue

I have a friend that has a 1996 DS Electric Cart. The first part of the Serial number is A9633. Anyway, like many here who have the issue where they plug their charger in and hear a click and nothing else, I want to have the instructions to bypass the OBC to test the charging circuit.

I've embedded a photo to help clarify things. The yellow circle that has the arrows pointing to it, is that fuse right in back of the charging port. If I am going to put a jumper wire, do I first disconnect a lead and then put a jumper? Also which lead am I disconnecting? I know to jump it to the #6 Battery Neg terminal. But, I'm just not certain of the other end.

Last edited by pmangr; 05-07-2013 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: Photo link
pmangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 DS chaging issue

. . . the quick way to test obc charge circuit is to do the bypass in the charger as shown in below pic . . . pay attention to all warnings . . .

Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . the yellow "thingy" in your pic is the sense lead fuse . . .

. . . on a side note . . . we need a Tahoe or ScottyB to write up a STICKY for OBC bypass procedure . . . this subject comes up time and time again in threads . . .
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
pmangr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . the yellow "thingy" in your pic is the sense lead fuse . . .

. . . on a side note . . . we need a Tahoe or ScottyB to write up a STICKY for OBC bypass procedure . . . this subject comes up time and time again in threads . . .
I agree, that is why I included a photo. I was hoping to see responses with photos as well. Feel free to use my photo for a sticky if it helps.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
pmangr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So if I bypass this in the charger, it's the same as bypassing the OBC of the cart? In other words, if the charger hums and the meter goes up where it's supposed to, that would indicate that the OBC in the cart is bad?

Quote:
. . . the quick way to test obc charge circuit is to do the bypass in the charger as shown in below pic . . . pay attention to all warnings . . .
Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmangr View Post
So if I bypass this in the charger, it's the same as bypassing the OBC of the cart? In other words, if the charger hums and the meter goes up where it's supposed to, that would indicate that the OBC in the cart is bad?
. . . doing the OBC bypass in the charger would show there is either a problem with the charger or the charge circuit in the cart . . .
Old 05-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
pmangr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
. . . doing the OBC bypass in the charger would show there is either a problem with the charger or the charge circuit in the cart . . .

According to my friend, he's already taken the charger in for a diagnosis and it's fine. I did a cursory check of things last night and without taking somethings apart, didn't see anything wrong. I did a continuity check across the fuse with the cover, shown in the photo, but not the yellow one. He said that his son had checked it, but I'll double check it as well before doing the jumping.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmangr View Post
According to my friend, he's already taken the charger in for a diagnosis and it's fine. I did a cursory check of things last night and without taking somethings apart, didn't see anything wrong. I did a continuity check across the fuse with the cover, shown in the photo, but not the yellow one. He said that his son had checked it, but I'll double check it as well before doing the jumping.
. . . quick test for charger is to plug it into another cart . . . however, if no other cart is available, the bypass in charger will point to either a charger issue or an OBC/cart circuit issue . . .
Old 05-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
pmangr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

UPDATE:

My friend has a friend with the same model cart. So they hooked up his charger to test it and it seems to work perfectly. Friend #2's charger exhibits the same issue when hooked up to Friend #1's cart. Friend #1's charger works fine on Friend #2's cart.

At this point, I believe it is safe to say it is NOT the charger.

It appears, however, that the cart is getting some kind of "trickle" charge as he is able to use the cart still as long as he lets it charge 24 hours or so.

If this is the controller, where would a good place be to purchase a new one? And which one should he purchase?

Thanks....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car