lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Unhappy turn key, 09 RXV jumps a little and then beeping alarm sounds

Was driving my 09 rxv and smelled hot electronics smell. Drove fine though. After 5 more minutes I stopped and turned off, watched fireworks for half hour. Went back to cart and it wouldnt go. I turned the key, it lurches just a little and the a slow audible beeping alarm sounds. Brakes do not work. The electronic parking brake doesnt work. when turned key to other possisions the beeping alarm kept going, it doesnt go to solid reverse sound. The headlights do still work. I towed it home. I thought maybe voltage dropped to much. So I individually charged each battery back to full. Cleaned all terminals on batteries. Just tried to run it again but no luck. It does same thing. Turn key and it lurches a bit and then the fail alarm or something starts beeping.

Any ideas what is failing? Hoping it isnt the controller...
d-angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: turn key, 09 RXV jumps a little and then beeping alarm sounds

I don't think it is a controller but sounds suspicious of a solenoid or the resistor. You smelt a burning smell did you try to isolate it? Was the smell coming from behind the controller? If you were to reach for the tow/run switch and kept going back just under the back of the plastic cover you would feel the round resistor with coils to help cool it, was that the source of the smell? I would disconnect the plug under the cup holder and power to the controller for a while, I would wait at least an hour, then re-hook up controller, plug in diagnostic port, and charge off the factory charger until solid green is what I would do first. Then switch to reverse and listen for the cart to run diagnostics, the clicks you normally hear. The solenoid might not be opening fully. The brake part dose throw me off a bit never heard of the brakes failing.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The smell is from right under and behind the tow switch. Im a rookie with golf cart stuff but know lots about cars and simple electronics. But right there under the heat shield that says hot is where I think the burnt/hot electronic smell is. Ill try pulling that plug and power on for an hour. If it beeps, just let it do that for the hour?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, tried this deal with unplugging the programming plug, turn key on for hour plus, then replace plug and charge cart. No luck. Still does same thing. Turn key and a little lurch of the cart and then the beeping alarm. Any other suggestions? I'll call the local cat dealer Monday to see if he's ever heard of this. The breaks are the weird thing. Even right now, the cart will roll freely.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Took the the plastic cover off to inspect electronics. Tried to smell different parts seperately. My best uneducated guess is the starter solenoid. It smells a little more then the other areas. Reading up about it a little, sounds like the action role it does is monitor the key and the pedal positions and then does whatever. So sounds like a viable culprit. Anyone else had the starter selanoid fail?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have not had an issue but I was leaning towards a solenoid issue just from your first post as well. I would contact dealer in the morning and please post what you find. Always interested in learning as much as possible about my brand of cart. I had an issue one time where my wife parked cart for just a few minutes. When key was turned back to Reverse it beeped, but different then normal in every position except off. Brakes were locked up thou and I know it had a near full charge. Put in tow mode turned key to N and brakes released and we pushed it into garage. When I got it parked turned off key flipped switch to run. Turned key back to R and the cart acted just fine, never had another issue. Anyways I was suspicious of the solenoid and that is why I was thinking about your cart except for the brakes not working on yours.

BTW: I was saying unplug the diagnostic port under the cup holder, disconnect the battery for at least an hour sorry for the confusion. Then reconnect everything and plug charger in until fully charged indicator then see what cart dose or doesn't do.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Tried that way as well know. Battery terminal was disconnected for several hours with the plug out. Same thing happened. I'll try any other suggestions from other members if you have any. I'll call the dealer in the morning and report what they say.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I called local EZGO dealer and spoke to a tech. He talked with some others and their best guess was the motorbrake has failed in the open position. But they hadn't heard of that before because it always fails closed and locked. And they also have not heard of the beeping alarm sound. They were going to ask some other people and get back to me. I have a spare used motor brake that I can try and install to see if that fixes it. That may fix the rolling issue, but don't know about the non responsive pedals and the beeping alarm.

Would it help if I posted a video showing what it does?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

These carts have so many sensors and electronics could be hard to say. Dose your local dealer have the programmer to hook it up and see what codes it shows? If not I would work on finding a dealer that can plug it in a diagnose it for you, it should have a code that can point you in the right direction.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You may have tried this but if you disconnect the wire going to the motor brake, will it move ? Put in tow first with key off
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO