lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
CranbrookGolf
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 96 DS no speed limit/automatic braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Hey joesam, does your cart have a rocker switch or a lever for a shifter? Don't all regens have a rocker? This would tell for sure if Cranbrook's is a regen or not...
Its the larger shifter, so I'm assuming the cart doesn't have regen braking and it never did, so that's become a non-issue now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
Yep! The same rocker switch as all "modern" Regen's! AND I understand his concern. Cranbrook is in the Canadian Rockies and some of those mountain course paths would feel freaky-steep without Regen!
Yeah, someone actually died recently at a golf course near us because they went over a small cliff and rolled the cart. A lot of these modern courses or ones built into the side of a mountain have treacherous paths. My course is an older one that's mostly flat except for that path down to the driving range (which has always been a good "test" route for carts I've fixed or that have a suspected problem). And I just want to make I've covered all my bases to ensure there's nothing I did to disable the speed limit.
CranbrookGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I've played your course - I know its not as bad as many near you. I played a course in the mountains about a week ago in a Precedent cart with regen braking that made me nervous (and it was set for maximum braking). It was sooo steep, that they can only get 1 round on the 48v carts - if they go out a second time, the charge light comes on after 9 or 10 holes. Between the green on hole #6 to the tee on #7 it was 2 km!

I'm still wondering though, if someone could over-rev & damage a series cart motor on a killer downhill run?
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
CranbrookGolf
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
I've played your course - I know its not as bad as many near you. I played a course in the mountains about a week ago in a Precedent cart with regen braking that made me nervous (and it was set for maximum braking). It was sooo steep, that they can only get 1 round on the 48v carts - if they go out a second time, the charge light comes on after 9 or 10 holes. Between the green on hole #6 to the tee on #7 it was 2 km!

I'm still wondering though, if someone could over-rev & damage a series cart motor on a killer downhill run?
Yeah, I've played one or two where the braking was set too high and that actually made it more dangerous than if it were set lower or not at all. I wonder if they're trying to keep the speed down to conserve battery power for all the distance carts have to travel between holes. Anyways, I took that cart out for a spin again today after doing a bit of painting and I ripped down one of the sloped fairways. It seems like the cart would keep accelerating if I had a longer stretch of road. I bet you if you had a long enough stretch, you might do some damage.

I hope someone has some advice for me. I'll take another look on my next shift when I have some free time and make sure I connected everything back up and where it should be. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
CranbrookGolf
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well, I've taken another look at the cart today but nothing is out of place. Every wire I disconnected is back in proper place. I had to disconnect the blue wire from the controller (M-) to get at the B- connection, but it's back in place. All wires from the new braid are in their proper places. The white wire (A2) leading from the motor looks a little frayed but I doubt that would matter even if I put a new connector on it, at least speedwise.

I assume this cart has a potentiometer rather than an M/COR. Would adjusting this make any difference?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

nope series carts have no regein at all the bigger the hill the faster they go and u can explode a motor if it spins to much
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
CranbrookGolf
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete959 View Post
nope series carts have no regein at all the bigger the hill the faster they go and u can explode a motor if it spins to much
"Here's your cart key, sir. Watch out for that 600 yard downhill par 5. You could end up in flames by the time you get to the green."

That just seems insane to me. A '96 cart isn't THAT old. I know there are a few member carts I've driven that got a little out of control but I figured it was just that particular cart's age/peculiarity/lack of maintenance. But there's absolutely nothing to limit the speed?

But, of course, now I can see how one of our member's carts rolled into and to the bottom of our reservoir after she dived out of the way of an errant tee-shot. Good thing their son-in-law was a diver and owned a tow truck.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I know that we got my first 1996 series up to around 30 mph going down a hill once. There was no regen or anything and that thing would fly. Never thought about it hurting the motor, but it never did...
I guess I thought the motor was only engaged when it was turning (foot on gas), so just coasting down a hill wouldn't damage it. But I'm not really sure how it works. Maybe someone else does?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
crash test dummy

basically there is no clutch to disengage the motor, it is a direct drive system so if the cart is rolling the motor is turning
Old 09-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
basically there is no clutch to disengage the motor, it is a direct drive system so if the cart is rolling the motor is turning
So I wonder how fast you can go without blowing up the motor?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
CranbrookGolf
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
Yeah, I didn't even have to accelerate and the cart got up pretty quick on the 300 yard path down to the driving range.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car