lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
csmdew
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Cart Won't Move but Tries

I have a 2002 cart that was given to me about 6 yrs ago with a frozen motor that golf course could not get out, so I brought it home and got the motor out with big pry bar. After that I let it sit (6yrs) until my granddaughter wanted me to fix it so she can ride the great-granddaughter around. After putting in a known good motor and installing batteries I had it going but making a ticking noise so I pulled the spline gear and installed another good one and everything was fine until this week. The cart now will not move but tries to. I have tried the following thing:

1st made sure all electrical connections were tight and batteries charged fully.
2nd tested batteries with load tester since they are old but all checked out.
3rd I jacked the rear end up and one wheel moved with pedal down, but could be stopped by hand and then the opposite one would move.

I have spent several hundred dollars and many many hours working on this cart and now really need help. I hate hearing the baby say "ride papa" and the cart won't go. I really want to fix it, thanks.
csmdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cart Won't Move but Tries

Is it a 48 or 36 volt cart?
What do you mean "tries to go"?
Does it shudder, or inch forward then stop?
If the batteries are "pretty old" they may need replaced.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
csmdew
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

36v and it will inch forward or rock a little but not go anywhere; Batteries check out good and pretty sure that they are not the problem. I have read a lot about the rear hubs stripping but not sure if this model could have those problems. One thing I forgot in 1st post is that sometime during my testing of the batteries and other connections the solenoid stopped clicking when pedal was pushed; after messing with some wiring and just general searching it started to click again. On hard pavement I guess it would actually move a few feet.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Connect a meter to the battery pack. Give us the 'at rest' voltage. Then watch the meter as you try to go. Give us the lowest reading you get trying to go. (solenoid MUST click for this test)

If the solenoid does not click or clicks intermittently then you either have very low voltage or an intemittent microswitch or loose connection in the activation circuit.

Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
csmdew
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Batteries were charged 2 days ago and are 38.1 when accelerating it drops to 37.5 when tires are on ground (doesn't move) and 37.7 tires lifted (1tire spins).

Some additional info: when I started to put this cart together I installed a running motor from my cart, new solenoid, new its, good controller, new wires for batteries, replaced f/r switch and test drove it for more than 20 miles before hauling to my G-daughter's house. They have run it almost every day for 10 days without any problem until Tuesday.

Would that be the micro at the its. thanks

Also how can u test each battery under load without separating them. Confused on this and is why I used the 6/12 load tester.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

ms at the F&R or the V-glide IF the solenoid is not clicking consistantly.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
csmdew
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
ms at the F&R or the V-glide IF the solenoid is not clicking consistantly.
I have working ms so I can change out or complete board maybe better, but don't know what is the v-glide. Also the shifter is real easy and thought maybe it might not be getting good contact (that was maybe what got it clicking again, throwing back and forth)post 3.

But would this keep is from moving under its own weight??

Anyway I can just call one of you guys or gals, and go through everything a lot better, thanks.

Found out what v-glide is and I have an ez go.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
csmdew
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Did wet bulb on all cells and only a couple were at 1.265; most were 1.275 or higher. Changed the f/r switch with working unit, still no go. Will move maybe 2 inches. Also after bringing it home I found it to be very difficult to push compared to my cart which is the same model and year.(they're twins). Are the brakes self adjusting and maybe not releasing completely.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

The brakes could be your problem here. The cart should be easy to push by hand.
Yes they are supposed to be self adjusting, but one of them may be locked up.
You can remove the rear tires and take off the hubs to check them...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

first u have an ezgo if it has an ITS and what u r explaning is the noid is bad take the resitor off between the 2 big term and cart wont move at all
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car