lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Winter storage questions

I live in eastern, NC and usually keep my cart in my enclosed barn when I have it here at home. However there is no heat in there. We tend to have some cold nights (sub freezing) during the winter but it's rare for it to stay below freezing during the day or for days on end. This year, I set my RV up on a permanent lot at the campground we usually spend summers at and I decided to leave the cart there. I will go down a few times over the winter but it's likely the cart will be left there for weeks on end unattended. When I left it, I checked and filled the batteries, left it on the charger, and secured a fitted cover over it. Should it be okay to leave it like that? Or is there a way that it can get too cold for too long to leave it that way?
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Winter storage questions

The way you've got it now is fine. Batteries will only freeze if they are discharged. My only worry would be the water levels going down, but since the cart won't be used, it's probably no big deal...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

As mentioned in a different thread about a month ago, my cart batteries have been left on their Powerdrive I charger every year of their long lives (10yrs) for 5 months each winter, and other than manually unplugging and plugging in the charger for an "equalization charge" about once every 4-6 weeks, I had done nothing else (I'm experimenting with a low current maintenance charger this year, but for a different reason than just battery care). I never added water during storage, but made sure they were filled about a week before storing the cart under a heavy cover.

Temperatures are frequently near -30 for short periods of time where I live! Batteries that are at full (or near full) charge do **very well** in the cold - in fact, its much better for them; than storing at room temperature!
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

I topped off the water levels before leaving it the last time. They are 2013 batteries and have performed well since getting them. I will probably be going down there at least every 4 or 5 weeks depending on the weather and anytime I am there, I use the cart and then charge it.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
robertakamagoo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I just check my 2006 with 2010 battery's. I keep it plug in I have a Scott's meter set up. I check and fill battery's once a month they need a little water. Some nights it get in the teens. I tested the water in each cell all looks good.
robertakamagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

In the slums here, I disconnect the batteries after I have charged them up, tarp off the cart and walk away.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Have said it many times if your dealing withgood fully charged batteries you can get by all winter without a charge.uin northwest PA i leave mine sit outside uncovered from end of november until mid april and can get on it and drive it without ever putting charger on . I always take them for a ride before i charge them. Its all in battery condition now i.m sure further north may be different but we get plenty good here
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
TreeBass
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Interesting about these golf cart batteries and charging over the winter. Mine see more use over the winter due to deer season. But I've left the country for around 15 months and left my boat batteries with a full charge. Came back and the boat fired right up.

So what's really the difference in batteries?
TreeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I think its mainly environmental, the degree to which they are charged before storage, their relative age & condition, and the rate of "self discharge" of the different battery technologies. Highest to lowest rates of self discharge (I think) is : Flooded (golf cart), AGM (boat batteries) and Gel cells (automotive). If any of these types are not in good condition before they were stored, they will generally be in worse condition after storage.

Extremes of temperature (either high or low) will accelerate their demise - especially if they are heavily discharged, or don't hold a charge well to start with, or are stored in a discharged state.

All of the above can be avoided with proper preparation, maintenance and monitoring of condition - something you will see repeated in many threads on this site.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

One more thing. I used to leave my cart unattended for months at a time. I purchased a boot for the rear wheel. It deters thieves from stealing or joy riding in your cart. I believe it was $79.00 from EZ Go. Also be sure you tie your cover on securely. Don't depend on the elastic.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car