lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
buchrob
Not Yet Wild

Default HOT seasonal storage - parked in Arizona during summer months

2000-era 48v with new batteries & cables all around (about 3 months use): season 1: fitted cover, topped up batteries with distilled water, hooked up charger, stored from April-October -- min temperature in 60's, max in 120's. Batteries needed 2 GALLONS of distilled water after storage season, but worked fine. Lots of corrosive powder on terminals

Season 2: same drill, but accidentally left TOW/RUN switch in tow position, so no charger action. Same 2 GALLONS needed to top up, messy tops but batteries still work fine.

Neighbor tops his batteries with 2 oz of mineral oil to prevent evaporation. Claims he never has to top up with water afterwards. Popped up the seat and his battery tops are immaculate.

Have seen in RV forums that many folks add a little mineral oil (was common on railway & industrial batteries of a certain era) to control evaporation with good results.

Anyone care to share their experience?
buchrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: HOT seasonal storage - parked in Arizona during summer months

Never heard of this but if the oil stays on the surface it can't hurt much. I leave my cart in Arizona too for the summer but my house watcher maintains the charge and water levels for me. It's in my garage so it gets plenty hot in there in the summer. Mine charges fine in Tow position.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My battery distributor told me this is a bad practice. Eventually the oil does mix with the water like salad dressing and gums up the plates making them less effective. I've never tried it. Just have somebody fill your batts mid way through the off season.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would leave the caps on the batteries and make sure the rubber seals are clean . This would prevent evaporation.
IMHO I think this would be a terrible idea.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

There is a product out there called "thermoil" for wet batts. I have tried it before, not very impressed. You cant tell where the oil stops, and the electrolyte begins. This will eventually result in the tops of the plates and seperators getting oiled. And, they still consume water. Overall, i dont think the oil idea is worth the risks.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, hot, oil
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car