lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
TheOldMan
Not Yet Wild

Default Differential noise

My 3 wheel ezgo marathon has a lot of noise in the differential. It has plenty of oil. Doesn't sound like missing teeth, only a grinding noise. Also doesn't seem to have enough low end torque, or longevity of charge. I can fully charge, DVM indicating 38.4, Pull it hard for 10 minutes, and it will be down to 70% (37.2). Batteries are new, and charger ends up @45v+ when completing the charge. My question is, could this be a bearing or something putting enough drag to pull the batteries down fast? Thinking about upgrading cables, but need to solve some problems first.
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Differential noise

Maybe brakes or bad wheel bearing.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

May sound stupid, but check your air pressure! Could be a cheap fix!
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

If they are new batteries they won't have full capacity until after the first 12 charge cycles or so. Ten minutes sounds kinda quick. Are you waiting at least ten minutes after driving to get the 70% SOC reading
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
TheOldMan
Not Yet Wild

The noise sounds like it's either in the diff or motor. Yesterday, I took off the charger, DVM read 39.1. Ran it in the soft soil in the garden, monitoring the voltage. Within 10 minutes, it was down to 70%. It did come back up to 38 after setting a few minutes, but didn't have the torque it had w/full charge. I'm a newbie at this, but my concern is that this noise I'm hearing is something binding and pulling down the batteries as they overcome that friction.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are three different types of battery voltages that have meaning.
1. On-Charge: Measured while a charging current is passing through the battery's cells. Provides information about batteries and charger.

2. Under-Load: Measured while a discharging current is passing through the battery's cells. Provides information about batteries and drive system.

3. At-Rest: Measured about 12 hours after charging current ceases to flow or about an hour after discharging current ceases to flow. Provides information about the batteries.

The At-Rest voltage is the only one that can be used to estimate the battery's SoC (State of Charge).
If the voltage is measured too soon after charging, the estimate will be artificially high.
If the voltage is measured too soon after discharging, the estimate will be artificially low.

For a quick spot check to see if it is time to head back to the house, or wherever the charger is, 5-10 minutes of rest time is usually sufficient. The SoC will be low, but low is the safe side for determining when a charge is needed.

For range estimates and troubleshooting, half an hour's rest is needed. (Most of the voltage recovery occurs in the first 30 minutes, but it actually continues for hours.)

---------------
How far the battery voltage drops under load is determined by how many amps are being drawn from it, its storage capacity and its SoC. Stop and go driving at slow speeds in sand will draw a lot of amps. Actually, it is about the worst case scenario. The battery pack retuning to 38.x volts in a few minutes is a good sign.

-----------
Try pushing the cart by hand on a hard level surface. It weight half a ton, so it takes a bit of oomph to get it moving, but once it is moving it shouldn't take much to keep it moving.

While being pushed have someone try to locate where the sound is coming from.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
TheOldMan
Not Yet Wild

I've pushed this slowly with tractor, and still can't tell where it's coming from exactly, guess I'd better buy a stethoscope. I just ordered a set of #2 cables. I really like this cart, love the short turning radius of the 3 wheeler, just need to get enough stay with it to spray my garden
Old 06-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
I've pushed this slowly with tractor, and still can't tell where it's coming from exactly, guess I'd better buy a stethoscope. I just ordered a set of #2 cables. I really like this cart, love the short turning radius of the 3 wheeler, just need to get enough stay with it to spray my garden
Pushing by hand will give you a better feel of how much rolling resistance exists.

The second part, localizing the noise, also might be easier without tractor noise.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO