lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
11yammy
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 secondary clutch

I just got a new clutch kit in from plowmans (fast shippers) well anyhow don determined that my secondary clutch was bad and that i needed a new one. So I told him to go ahead, and i decided to do the $379 upgrade with the new clutch. The kit arrived very quickly and started putting on the secondary clutch and while I was torqueing the bolt down it sheared off. My question is, is there suppose to be a different type of bolt that comes with this new clutch maybe shorter? i noticed on my original clutch when i pulled the bolt out, it had the spacer the big washer and then the little washer but in his picture it had just the spacer and big washer no little washer. i will give them a call tomorrow and see but if i can get this fixed today it will be great
11yammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: G29 secondary clutch

How much torque did you use??? I use a 3/8 ratchet and just snug it down. Its a long 12mm bolt that doesnt need a whole lot of torque.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
11yammy
Not Yet Wild

The instructions sent to me call out for 35ft lbs of torque on the 12 mm bolt. I was using the torque wrench when it broke :(
Old 08-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
11yammy
Not Yet Wild

Did you use the big washer, little washer and spacer? His picture was just calling for the spacer and big washer
Old 08-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Im not 100% positive about this but if i recall yamaha had a temporary fix for the clutch issues of the jerking at takeoff but there fix didnt work to well. There so call fix was to use different spacers to help with the alignment of the clutches. My 2010 never had the update done and didnt have the washer your speaking of. Not really sure why a 1mm thick washer would cause any issues like the head of your bolt to break off. May have been just a week bilt from years of getting hot then cold for cycles upon cycles. My 2013 cart is totally different so im not much help. Call don in the morning and he will make it all good.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Did you clean the threads of the bolt off before you put it back? I've seen situations where rusted crud on bolt threads causes it to bind up and snap off (usually while loosening). Also, it's possible that due to the spacer you had a longer bolt than required without one. My 2007 does not have all that junk with it, and I tightened down the bolt without issue.

Hopefully the bolt did not sheer off flush with the input shaft and there's something sticking out that you can grab on to and turn it back out again. Otherwise it could turn into a real ugly job.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
11yammy
Not Yet Wild

When it broke off I was one nervous guy because it did shear off flush inside the shaft. I started using a center punch to make a mark so i could drill it out for a extractor I noticed it moved, so a short story long it came out! I will call Don tomorrow morning. I just noticed that mine says it was made back in November of 2010, I was told its a 2011 golf cart. So I am beginning to wonder if there was a difference in clutches?????
Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
dbmachine
Gone Wild

No the clutches were all the same for the g29 from 07-2012 which were all team industries clutches. In the middle of 2012 to now the clutches are a different more durable setup. During the 07-12 years if a customer complained about the way the clutch can be jerky on acceleration there was a so called fix that the dealer wod perform with some spacers etc. i dont remember all the details for this procedure but it was available. Smallblock on here could run your vin through the dealer network and see if this was performed on your cart. None the less the yamaha god mr plowman will get you back up and running. Keep us posted and what all happens.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Thats right about build dates. Some companies make automobiles, atvs, and other vehicles as much as 7 months earlier than the release year. My employer makes chassis parts for hyundai and in june of this year we were already producing 2015 parts.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
11yammy
Not Yet Wild

will keep everyone updated, excited for the test ride, but first must locate another bolt of the same dimensions and maybe this time just tighten the bolt with a regular ratchet. Its hard to believe to put that much torque on that small of a bolt, but I am sure Don would know if anyone knows.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha