lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
DrewDoh916
Not Yet Wild

Default Clutch problems

I've read a lot of post on here and This site has been super helpful but I can't seem to find my problem. I have a 96 gas ezgo txt with a 6" lift and 23" tires. My brother tried pulling an areator with the cart and now it's really slow taking off. It will get to full speed fine but it is just slow taking off. I guessed the driven clutch might have been bad so I replaced it with a 28 degree and still the same problem. I just wanted yalls opinion if you think it's the drive clutch before i spend another 200$ and then that not be what's wrong. Thanks in advance
DrewDoh916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
DrewDoh916
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Clutch problems

Anyone have an idea? Is it probably a clutch problem or could it be a transmission problem?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
my1423
Gone Wild

First i would pull the belt and examine it for flat spots. Measure its width.
Check your clutch faces for wear.

If all negative put the belt back on and put it up on blocks. Run it and watch the clutches ect to make sure everything works as it should.
Then try it.
Still has issues could pull the clutch and clean and lube it.
Might have got hot and goobed up.
Check that all pucks are in place ect.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
DrewDoh916
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks. It's a brand new belt that came with the 28 degree. It just doesn't seem like it has the lowest gear it use to have. I took the primary apart and sprayed it with pb blaster but no luck so far. I still haven't pulled the primary off but I guess that's next. Could it be the transmission or is it most likely the clutch?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #5
my1423
Gone Wild

Could be a carb issue or burnt rings ect if the cart was run way to hard but if it was working great then just started acting up when trying to pull really hard then i would think it is a clutch issue.
One little thing that many overlook is spark plugs. Seen many people running on one cylinder and not realizing they have an engine issue. Plugs are cheap and you can check your compression while you are at it. Start it and quickly touch each exhaust and make sure both are heating up.
Unfortunately they are known for chucking rods and still running.

Most likely one of the clutches (drive) is shifting to soon and bogging the engine.
Not letting the engine rev high enough to build power prior to loading it up.
Lean tward a broken return spring or worn washers or bushing failure in the base of it.
Little parts are not too expensive and fairly easy to replace.
Big if,,, Are your sheaves worn its best to just get a new clutch.
Need to thoroughly check things out. Sometimes minor issues like a fouled plug cause people the spend big unneeded bucks or overlook other really big money items.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #6
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Check out the rear hubs and make sure your rear axle splines haven't begun to strip out and spin some.
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
clubcar1211
Not Yet Wild

if tires are bigger may be speed ratio instead of power ratio?
clubcar1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO