lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
tielei
Not Yet Wild

Question broken rear axle shaft

Cart will not engage into gear. I have an EZGO gas with Robbins motor and ME29 transmission. Removed left rear axle shaft and it looks clean. Had to use reverse hub technique on right rear, but it came out fairly easily, but the shaft was broken in two where the shaft starts its grooves to match the transmission. Ideas on what else may be wrong to cause such a bind to break the shaft. Steps to do to get the broken piece out.
tielei is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
ski-doo583
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

As a former field service tech the only time I've seen a broken axle shaft was on beverage carts and the axle tube was also broken.
Caused from over loading.
ski-doo583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
tielei
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: broken rear axle shaft

It wasn't overloaded, but it did seem to be slipping when going up inclines before it completed stopped. I thought it needed a new belt or I would have stopped using it. I truly appreciate your response. Do you think I will have to open the transmission to get the piece of shaft out or is there an easier way you know of?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #4
ski-doo583
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tielei View Post
It wasn't overloaded, but it did seem to be slipping when going up inclines before it completed stopped. I thought it needed a new belt or I would have stopped using it. I truly appreciate your response. Do you think I will have to open the transmission to get the piece of shaft out or is there an easier way you know of?

I would start by removing the axle tube from the rear end. They are just bolted on it might come right out when you get the axle tube off. If not try a strong magnet
ski-doo583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

You will see if you try to drill the piece in the middle it should drill pretty easy as the axle is only case hardened. I would try to drill and tap it for a 5/16 bolt then use a slide hammer to remove it. Or the magnet may work.

Lou
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
tielei
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-doo583 View Post
I would start by removing the axle tube from the rear end. They are just bolted on it might come right out when you get the axle tube off. If not try a strong magnet
That worked. The axle tube was harder to remove than the piece of shaft. The 2 inch piece of shaft came right out and the gears inside look great.
Thanks so much.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #8
tielei
Not Yet Wild

Well, after ordering the new shaft, I put it in the axle tube and feel where the gears meld together, turn the axle shaft to make sure I am aligned and the axle shaft is off center of the axle tube where the hub goes. I can align the shaft with moderate force, but I can't get the bearing in the axle shaft. I put the hub on backwards and the cassel nut for protection of threads, but I hammered moderately hard and still could not get the bearing in the tube. The bearing came with the new shaft and I assume it is located in the correct position. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO