lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default '92 3pg Hard Starting...sometimes.

Hello all. Recently my cart after running it will start hard. It'll crank and crank and not fire. I keep cranking it and it'll eventually start. Then the next time I stop it'll restart right back up and might restart right back up the next 20 times then out of no where it'll go back to the crank, crank thing and won't start. It's almost as if the key has been turned off, doesn't even try to run.

I haven't the slightest clue where to start looking. I checked the fuel pump and it's pumping fine. I have put a new voltage regulator and solenoid and plug within the last year. The fuel lines looked fine when I checked them out and it has a new fuel filter.

The only thing I can think is maybe the needle valve and float may be sticking in the carb??? Like I said, not a clue to where to start. It's such a sporadic problem.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Barnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '92 3pg Hard Starting...sometimes.

I think the first thing we need to do is determine if it is losing spark, or losing fuel.

I would say carry a spare plug with you. When it acts up, connect the plug, and see if it is sparking.

Today is Aviation Maintenance Technician day. The company just gave all 15,000 of us some really nice Pelican 2745 headlamps, and a barbecue dinner. I'm happy, and full right now.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Congrats on the bonus and more importantly the full belly

Ok I got it to not start and just crank again. Tossed in the spare plug I was carrying and had good spark. Cranked it over for 15-20 seconds and nothing so I put it in reverse and it turned over maybe 8-10 times and started. Stopped the cart switched back to forward and nothing. Back to reverse with 3-4 cranks and it was running so back to forward and it started like it should. Now I won't say the switching from F to R had anything to do with it after all it could had just been ready on its own to start, just trying to give you as much info as possible.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I'll have to keep reminding myself that you have two different carts.

We can eliminate spark. Now we see if it's a fuel problem.

I wonder if the spark plug is wet, or dry when acting up.
A wet plug could mean ripped diaphragm in the fuel pump. It would still pump good.

A dry plug would indicate fuel not being able to escape from the carburetor. That would mean a good cleaning is in order.
Being inconsistent makes it tough. Maybe a piece of dirt is floating around in there.

Since it doesn't happen every time, I would try some Seafoam first.

EDIT: You might want to do a compression test too.

One more thought. Since the 3pg has the spark plug on top, I don't think it would flood the plug as obviously as it does on a 2 pg.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well what I'll do is keep a socket with me and pull the plug and check it out when it has a problem. I might just pull the carb and clean it to eliminate that possibility.

The fuel pump has been replaced around two years ago but I'll keep that in mind for sure.

As far as the Seafoam I've never used it. Is it an additive that I put into the fuel? If so I'm assuming there is directions on how much per gallon to use???

Thank you for your help, I'll post back when I find something new.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
ski-doo583
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Do a compression check.
What you are describing is very typical when those engines need a rebuild.
They will start in reverse but not in foward.
ski-doo583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #7
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-doo583 View Post
Do a compression check.
What you are describing is very typical when those engines need a rebuild.
They will start in reverse but not in foward.
Will do as soon as I find a gauge to borrow, I personally don't have one.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A little update. Pulled the carb and cleaned it. Didn't seem to help because it did its not start thing again a little later. Pulled the plug and it was dry as a bone.

I tapped the top of the carb right above the bowl thinking the needle valve may be stuck (it looked okay when I had it apart) and it fired right up. Drove it and restarted it for a bit then it wouldn't start again so I tapped the carb again and it started right up.

Haven't had time to find a gauge to check the compression yet. Thinking about ordering a new needle valve and float if this "tapping" thing keeps working. That is if I can find one to order.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

New carbs are $20. Not worth fixing one.

My brother just threw one on that cleared up a popping, and low power problem.

Both problems were self induced when he tried to clean, and modify his float bowl.

Did you unscrew the seat where the needle valve sits? That's where we found a piece of dirt blocking the intake to the float bowl.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #10
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No I didn't take that seat out.

I will say I think it's worse now since I cleaned it, not starting more frequently. I'll take it back off again tomorrow and take that seat out and if that doesn't do the trick I'll just get a new one. That certainly seems to be the problem.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it!

Tags
3pg, hard, start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO