lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
kenny_kiper
Not Yet Wild

Question 99 ezgo HELP!!! No power

Hello, everyone I am new to the forum.
I have a 99 ezgo gas golf cart with the 295
It started losing power a while back. I adjusted the valves and it ran fine for a few minutes. It had plenty of power and ran fine but soon lost all power again.
Compression is good
I've replaced carb with a new one
New fuel pump
New ignition coil
New voltage regulator.
My question is what would make it lose power so quick after running so good? Could the valves be bad? Cam? Timing? Please help I'm stuck.
TIA
kenny_kiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2016, 01:53 AM   #2
my1423
Gone Wild

Default Re: 99 ezgo HELP!!! No power

Check that both cylinders are running.
Both have good compression. Both exhausts hot? Easy to check if you have an ir thermometer.
Verify both sides of the coil have spark. Did you replace the plugs? Are they a nice new white, brown, or black, oily?
Put it up on a jack and Watch the clutches.
Do they move smoothly both clutches? Return back?
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
kenny_kiper
Not Yet Wild

I just bought a brand new battery. So I plan on checking some things tonight. I'm gonna check the compression on each cylinder again and I'll post those numbers. (Is there anything specific I'm suppose to do to check compression?)
What is the minimum compression for the cart to run good?

I'm sorry but what exactly do you mean by checking to see if both cylinders are running?
Also I'm not sure on checking if exhaust is hot. I don't have an or thermometer. There is only one exhaust, or do you mean the manifold??

I will also check the other things you suggested and post the results.
Thank you so much for taking time to try and help diagnose my problem. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
kenny_kiper
Not Yet Wild

Just checked compression:
Passenger side cylinder 155
Driver side cylinder 130

Plugs were blackish
When running if I pull either wire the cart will die so I guess it running on both cylinders

Cart will start. but with pedal to floor it is barely over an idle. Will not rev upnand smokes (smells like fuel).

Any help appreciated.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
my1423
Gone Wild

Well if its pouring smoke what color?
White or bluish, black?
White blue oil burning.

Black smoke and low power suggests a carburation issue.
When you changed the carb did you dump the gas tank and put in new fresh fuel? Just want to make sure you do not have old gunky stuff in there.
Did you check all the carb settings and adjust as the manual states?
Old 05-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
my1423
Gone Wild

You also stated you replaced the fuel pump.
You could have a bad one and gas is flowing out of the pulse line.
Pull the line and see if it has gas in it?
The one going to the manifold. Make sure it is on the proper port of the pump.
I saw someone hook one up backwards and it actually fired up. Was dumping fuel out the muffler.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
kenny_kiper
Not Yet Wild

Is my compression ok at 155 and 130. And is it ok if there's that much difference in the two cylinders.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
kenny_kiper
Not Yet Wild

Also when I adjust the valves, I read a thread that says to gauge them under the cam lobes. When I set them at .004 under the cam lobes I check the rocker arms/ valves and it gauges more than 004 I can fit like a .005 .006 under it. I do know the valves and valve springs are really easy to push down. I'm not sure if this is common I've never worked on these engines before?
Old 05-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #9
kenny_kiper
Not Yet Wild

Oh and the smoke is white but smells like gas. Really don't smell like oil burning.
Also if it did need rings would it start and run then loose all power? Would my compression still read high if the rings were bad?
For example it has set for about 6 hrs and I come out here and it started right up and would take full throttle. I just held the pedal down wide open, within less than a minute it started slowing down until it pretty much bogs all the way down.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #10
kenny_kiper
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for so many post but I keep thinking of questions and I'm trying to give you the most information I can so maybe someone can help.
I just put brand new ngk spark plugs in and after only running it for a few minutes they are black. Kind of a wet oil black. Could this mean the rings are bad? And if so would that explain why after running good on the new plugs for a few minutes the oil is fouling out or keeping the plug from sparking hot enough to burn causing the cart to completely bog down?
Thanks again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO