lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default blown engine

I threw a rod on my 480 workhorse.I have not taken it apart yet,as I have not removed it from the cart.
Is there a set procedure as to how to pull the engine.I could not see one listed anywhere.
I am also interested in knowing the best way forward as far as a rebuild or should I just bite bullet and get a new motor.
It has a 16 hp briggs and Stratton v twin in it now.
The ezgo site lists one for $3379.00 and that is out of the question as I only paid $3000 for the Cart several years ago.
The cart is a 2007 workhorse in pretty good condition.
Any advice would be appreiciated
reggie dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
wicked872
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: blown engine

check Northern Tools website, I think they have them but I don't remember how much.
wicked872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
rib33024

Here's some for less.

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/perform...e-upgrade-kits

https://www.cartpartsplus.com/perfor...18-hp-vanguard
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Not familiar with your cart but I know a lot of people have been doing mods with those predator engines which are about 1/4 the cost of a Briggs. I have no experience with them personally but people are seeming to love them....its worth a little research by you if nothing else, a 22 Hp looks like it'll run you about 700 bucks new

http://m.harborfreight.com/engines-g...epa-61614.html
Sean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

you could probably have it rebuilt for less than $700 if you didn't hurt the case at all
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #6
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the information guys.
I did check out the predator motor,but I was advised not to buy one unless I really needed a motor.
My next door neighbor is a house mover and had used several of these in the past.He explained that they were difficult to get parts for,and that I would be needing some.
I checked out the local lawn equipment dealer and inquired about parts.He started asking me a few questions regarding the application for the motor in general.I explained what I needed the parts for and that the motor was from a cart.
He requested that I get all of the numbers off of the motor,as he might be able to help me out.

It appears that he had ordered someone a 16 hp Vanguard a few years back and got stuck with it.
$950.00 later and I have a new Vanguard 16 hp motor.
Great deal and so much easier than trying to rig up brackets etc.

I was not going to try to rebuild the one I had,so I would have had to pay someone to do the rebuild.I can do a lot of the work but I would have had to have someone turn the crank and rebore the cylinders.
This is just a better way to go for me.

A 22 hp predator sounded interesting though,and had I not lucked into this motor I would have done so.

Thanks for the help.

Reggie
reggie dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
Crimson Wonder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You found what sounds like a good deal and fairly quick. Those engines aren't hard to rebuild if you are patient but you would have likely spent close to the $950 between parts and machine shop fees. Especially if you had it bored to the next size piston and put two new pistons in it. I would bet that you can sell your old briggs to someone looking for an upgrade that doesn't mind have to put a little work in it or needing the good parts from it.
Crimson Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Hi guys. Would any of the v-twins mentioned fit an unlifted cart, with 20 inch wheels? Single cylinders too noisy. Thanks
slobdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What kind of cart is it your looking to mod? There's alot of posts out there already on this sort of thing, if your looking for a bolt in and go it's doubtful.....if you don't mind getting creative you could get a steetbike motor in there and start snapping axles lol....the point is your creativity is your limit with this sort of thing
Sean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:55 PM   #10
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

It's a 2000 txt. Just looking for a bolt in. The bigger wheels give me a little more ground clearance - I just don't know how much is needed for a replacement twin cylinder engine with a little more power. I know I can bolt in a single cylinder but these are too noisy.
slobdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO