lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
thetexasdeb
Not Yet Wild

Question 87 Gas Marathon won't go

Hi y'all. first time poster, I inherited an 87 EZ-GO Marathon gas gc. The drive belt was slipping so I purchased a new one, installed it and now it won't go. The original problem was a high pitch squeal and it appeared the belt was slipping it was 1/2" longer than the replacement. I unscrewed the 3screws on the clutch cover when I installed the new one, thinking it would help with installation, I did screw it back on tho.
1st question; is there a right placement for the clutch cover (like a distributor cap)?
2nd question; The small spring next to the clutch cover, is it important?
3rd question; Where is the micro switch? Could that be the problem?

The alternator belt revolves but the drive belt only will once then stops turning.
Any ideas? It worked before I replaced the belt but only after I would spray the belt with belt ease and stop the loud high pitched squeal.
Here's a link to see what its doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7TzN00VZQg
Any thoughts, comments, input will be extremely helpful. Thanx in advance.
thetexasdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 Gas Marathon won't go

The problem is that your cart isn't running. It's just turning on the starter. See if you knocked the spark plug wire off while changing the belt.

The white cap is a dust cover. Older carts didn't have them.

The spring sounds like part of the governor. There was a lever that rode on front of the dust cover, and moved a cable attached to the carburetor. It also was not important. Most people remove them.

An 87 has three microswitches. Your cart is turning over, so none of them are the problem.

EDIT: I watched the video again. Your spark plug wire is barely hanging on to the end of the plug.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
thetexasdeb
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 87 Gas Marathon won't go

Actually I did unplug the spark plug and I did put the boot back on. What I have noticed is there is no fuel in the fuel filter. I was thinking of pulling the gas line and running air thru it from the gas tank to the filter and vice versa.
thetexasdeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, drive belt, gas, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO