lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

Default 2002 EZGO Mods?

I'm likely picking up my first gasser this weekend.

Supposedly it has a rebuilt engine.

It's a 2002. I'm planning wheels and tires and a lift right away.

What inexpensive mods can I do for more power/speed?
mike_dmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 EZGO Mods?

Congrats on the *almost* new cart !!! For speed, crank the governor all the way down (there is a 10mm nut on the transaxle that needs to be tightened, search for it, there are pics all over the forums as to how to do it) - that with 23" tires should get You into the mid-20's no problem. For the 295's, that's about all You can do without starting to really spend big IE high=speed gears, etc ($300 plus installation)

As to power, the cheapest (and actually rather impressive) mod is to go with a shorter drive belt (what You need is posted in the "EZGO Gas Tech" forum, You're looking around $30) and the most effective would be to switch from a stock 36 degree driven clutch to a 28 degree such as was used on the "Workhorse" carts (around $150-175) ... I personally don't recommend the "Power Spring" mods for the driven clutch, by the time You buy the spring and spacer, etc it's only about $20 more to buy a new 28 degree helix and sheave (either way the clutch has to come off and be disassembled) and now You've got a REAL "Power" clutch, not just a stiffer spring on the old stock one.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #3
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

Awesome!

That sounds way better than the 12mph in my last two 36v Club Cars.

For some reason my searches have been coming back as "no matches"... Probably something on my end.

As far as lift kits go, what should I avoid? Not doing any real off road or trails. It'll be used for 90% golf, 5% sneaking down the side streets to the brewery in my 'hood, and 5% campground cruising.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

if You aren't going to be doing any serious off-roading, then either a spindle lift or a drop-axle will be just fine, they basically utilize the stock suspension which for the needs You've outlined is quite sufficient.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

Perfect.

So, I just got back from picking it up. Overall pretty decent condition aside from some rear lights that they drilled for.

It seems to be a little slow on coming up to speed. I figure its got to be a carb issue. That's no big deal.

Both of the belts look absolutely shot.

How much slack should be in the drive belt? I could probably just pull it off by hand.

I plan on grabbing the shorter one I read about in the Tech thread either way, but I'm curious.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

There is a ton of slack when the cart is sitting - enough that you can roll the belt right off the rear pulley by hand with minimal effort, that's normal. NOW, however, if the drive belt is less than 1.25" wide, it's shot and that's likely robbing You of the bulk of your takeoff speed, also if it's all dried out and starting to crack, ditto - there's the likely culprit as to the lack of accel and torque. Get the shorter belt on there before You tear into anything, that should likely cure the bulk of your issue.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO