lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
stinvinn
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO fuel problem

i just picked up a 1986 EZGO and the fuel line filter wont stay full. It needs to be chocked occasionally to keep it running.. checked compression........110psi should be good i think,my question is now is it the fuel pump?? this is the robbins engine
stinvinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO fuel problem

Compression at 110 is still good for that 2pg motor, but your delivery issue is likely either fuel pump or crank seal(s) starting to go. The pump works off vacum inside the block, and if your crank seals are starting to go that's going to make that vacum low or intermittent. Same deal with a bad diaphragm on the pump. Personally, I'd try this "old-school, down-and-dirty" trick: Jack up the rear wheels so she doesn't run away on You (or pull the drive belt real fast) then have somebody spray some WD40 or starting fluid into the front of the engine and then at the back of the engine between the block and clutch while the engine is running at just above idle - if it speeds up, that points to your bad seal.

As an FYI, fuel filters rarely stay "full" on these carts, and the fuel demand is awfully low so it's not always a reliable indicator to *not* see gas moving through a half-empty filter. A more reliable test is to pull the fuel line at the carb and turn it over, You should get a solid minimum 2" sprt of fuel at every revolution, that's a sign that your fuel pump is good.

All that said (and after trying those fast tests) if you're getting fuel and no leaks at the seals, culprit #3 is going to be a dirty carb / plugged jets (also very common on the older carts and will cause exactly the symptoms You describe).
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #3
stinvinn
Not Yet Wild

ok so i have now replaced the fuel pump an still have the same fuel deliverey issue can the crank seals be replaced without opening the motor up ? or does the motor need to be removed and torn down to do it
Old 07-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The clutch, and flywheel both need to come off. It only takes 15 minutes to remove the engine. It's not worth the struggle of trying to replace seals in the cart.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #5
stinvinn
Not Yet Wild

cart around ................i know the engine is easily remove my question was can seals be replaced without dissasembling the engine....and also is a special puller needed to remove the clutch
Old 07-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

All you have to do is remove the clutch, and flywheel. The seals are then removed from the outside.

Remove the center bolt from the clutch. Drop a brass rod down the hole to sit on top of the crankshaft threads. Then thread a 3/4" fine thread bolt on top of that to pop the clutch off. An impact makes it really easy.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO