lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
locojo25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1997 TXT starting and governor issues

Is anyone actually familiar with the 1997 specific setup? I say this because all the pics and write ups say how to adjust them all but the setup seems to be considerably different for the 1997 that I have. I recently adjusted valves, put in new spark plugs, blew out air filter, has a fairly new fuel pump and I put I dual filters one between the tank and the pump and one between the pump and the carb (a lil anal I know), did a compression test both cylinders reading 160 lbs. When I press the acc pedal down the motor will turn over but I either have to engage the choke or push the pedal in and out like I am revving it to get it to fire up and start moving. This is whether it is stone cold or has just been run for a mile. Also I have a feeling at some time before me the governor has been adjusted improper and I would like to start over. but this governor is not like any of the pics I have seen. there is no cable that goes to the carb from the governor rod its all threaded rods and ball sockets. I added pics to show what I have. the governor spring is also enclosed into a metal bracket so max extension is like 2". I really want to get this cart running much better before I start adding upgrades to it. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170707_181821.jpg (226.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170707_181844.jpg (186.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170707_181856.jpg (208.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170707_181902.jpg (155.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170707_181907.jpg (156.2 KB, 0 views)
locojo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
locojo25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1997 TXT starting and governor issues

Also I noticed when I removed the carb to clean it I noticed that the plate that is supposed to be inside the airbox is missing could that cause issues? I think its called a baffle plate not real sure. Also someone had stripped the ears on the main jet so I had to drill it out. A friend had a cheap replacement carb so I gave him a few bucks for it and just used the main jet out of it in my carb. It was stamped 85 is that Jet sufficient for my stock 295 motor?
Old 07-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

yours looks just like my 96 txt. But I bought it with the engine blown up and the governor had also been messed with!
It ran over 30 MPH when I got it running!

I now have it set @ 17.9 on GPS with 22'' tires, think that's about right.

As for your issue, I have been having some of the same, twice this summer. mine is definitely fuel related ( I think )
1st time I found some trash just above the needle valve.
2nd time, well I am dealing with it today, LOL
took carb apart, found nothing!
Checked valves, all good
drained fuel tank and cut p/u tube so it would not draw from bottom of tank.
cut filter apart and did find some trash,
off to parts store for new filter and new fuel.

Make sure you come back and let us know what your issue turned out to be, so many don't and we cant learn if we don't know what fixed it
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Heres a pic of mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gov 003.jpg (112.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gov 001.jpg (128.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gov 002.jpg (88.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:20 PM   #5
locojo25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just for giggles I replaced all my fuel line tonight and threw a new filter on it. If you just crack the acc pedal after a few seconds of hesitation it will start, I feel like it should be more responsive than that and not so picky. For giggles I did a GPS cruise and its only hitting 13-14 mph then the governor kicks in. I really would like to find out someplace where I can get some specs on this thing. I am thinking of replacing the cable that goes from the pedal to the governor arm next. Although I know that has nothing to do with my governor issue.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
locojo25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
yours looks just like my 96 txt. But I bought it with the engine blown up and the governor had also been messed with!
It ran over 30 MPH when I got it running!

I now have it set @ 17.9 on GPS with 22'' tires, think that's about right.

As for your issue, I have been having some of the same, twice this summer. mine is definitely fuel related ( I think )
1st time I found some trash just above the needle valve.
2nd time, well I am dealing with it today, LOL
took carb apart, found nothing!
Checked valves, all good
drained fuel tank and cut p/u tube so it would not draw from bottom of tank.
cut filter apart and did find some trash,
off to parts store for new filter and new fuel.

Make sure you come back and let us know what your issue turned out to be, so many don't and we cant learn if we don't know what fixed it
How did you make out today? How did you adjust your governor? My governor is cutting it back to like half throttle and the whole second half of my accelerator pedal basically does nothing the way it is adjusted now?
Old 07-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojo25 View Post
How did you make out today? How did you adjust your governor? My governor is cutting it back to like half throttle and the whole second half of my accelerator pedal basically does nothing the way it is adjusted now?
Tighten the bolt (clockwise) at the end of the spring to keep the governor from cutting back so soon,
don't go overboard the governor keeps the motor from over revving.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #8
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojo25 View Post
If you look at your spring and mine, my spring is tighter. So think your speed is inline with mine. I do have 22'' tires. I think I seen EZ-GO specks said 12-15 mph factory stock.

When I first got it together Im thinking the gov. was not working at all, maybe stuck in the rear end?

As for the way your gov./peddle is acting, mine is the same. Just about the time you think its starting to make power and take off the gov kicks in and only about the top 1/3 of the peddle does anything.

You can run your cart in neutral and rev it up and down and see the gov. and clutch's working.
Also you can take the belt off and do the same. that bypasses the gov. because the rear end is not turning. and see how the engine rev's up.

Didn't make to parts store yesterday, will today and run the h_ll out of it and see what happens!
I did take the carb completely apart and those fuel passages for the 2 jets and needle valve are the smallest I have every seen.
I also have new fuel lines even took the pvc line off and cleaned it out to make sure I was not getting trash from it.
If this does not resolve my issue, Im thinking its in the CHEEP CHINA carb!!
Old 07-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Ok, get it back together on Sunday. Runs just fine, but since my issue has been intermittent cant say it is fixed.

How are you doing with your issues ??
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO