lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1998 EZ GO TXT Fuel Problem....Maybe

Hey guys, Been a while since I have posted anything but here I searched this forum and nothing I have looked at so far has fixed my issue.

The 295 engine was rebuilt at the end of last year and was running like a new cart until about a month and a half ago. I ran it out of gas...yes I know after that little mishap it acts like it is always running out of gas now. Spitting and sputtering and then once in a while will take off and run like a champ until you come to a stop then it starts acting up all over again.

I have cleaned the carb, checked the fuel pump, changed out the fuel filter naturally and I have checked the plugs (which looked fine). I ordered another carb and installed it and that didn't resolve the problem either. I am really stumped. Just a side note, I replaced the coil approximately 3 months ago.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys
guyboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 1998 EZ GO TXT Fuel Problem....Maybe

WOW that's the 4th mid 90"s 295 having this issue on this forum in 2 weeks, Including me!

You have done every thing fuel related. Are you sure its fuel related?
When it will not start, Have you pulled the fuel bowl off to see if you have fuel?
I have heard only 1 in 5 of these Chinese carbs work.

Mine done the same thing, 1st time I found passage above needle valve blocked. Happened again, this time I took the carb completely apart and soaked it all night and blew compressed air threw it, think I have it.

I did also adj the valves, fuel filter, took off fuel lines and blew thru them

One thing I did do is take out the fuel pick up tube, it unscrews, and cut the bottom off so it would not p/u the trash on the bottom of the tank.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
WOW that's the 4th mid 90"s 295 having this issue on this forum in 2 weeks, Including me!

You have done every thing fuel related. Are you sure its fuel related?
When it will not start, Have you pulled the fuel bowl off to see if you have fuel?
I have heard only 1 in 5 of these Chinese carbs work.

Mine done the same thing, 1st time I found passage above needle valve blocked. Happened again, this time I took the carb completely apart and soaked it all night and blew compressed air threw it, think I have it.

I did also adj the valves, fuel filter, took off fuel lines and blew thru them

One thing I did do is take out the fuel pick up tube, it unscrews, and cut the bottom off so it would not p/u the trash on the bottom of the tank.

I am assuming it's fuel related. When the engine got rebuilt I wasn't aware at the time but the shop that did the rebuild replaced my carb with an aftermarket... So now i have 2 Chinese carbs. My valves have been adjusted recently and I am planning on replacing fuel lines, fuel pump and checking the pick up tube. Maybe something will help.

Thanks for the response!
Old 07-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Chinese carbs aren't the problem, failure to completely disassemble and clean them thoroughly prior to installation is. Often there is machining residue and gunk in them, so until they are broken down and cleaned even though they're brand new they will act like a dirty carb sometimes. Also, as with ANY new carb, it's important to set the float correctly before installing it, that will also cause running issues, overflowing, etc if not correct.

Check the pulse line (between the engine and fuel pump) to make sure it is clear, they often get filled with oil and cause intermittent fuel delivery (especially when people rebuild a cart and put too much oil into the new motor). It takes awhile to accumulate to where it causes an issue, but when it hits that point it can be a real stumper.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Brew,
I will be breaking down both carbs completely in the next few days and installing all new fuel lines and a new fuel filter. I hope a thorough cleaning will make a difference.

Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Chinese carbs aren't the problem, failure to completely disassemble and clean them thoroughly prior to installation is. Often there is machining residue and gunk in them, so until they are broken down and cleaned even though they're brand new they will act like a dirty carb sometimes. Also, as with ANY new carb, it's important to set the float correctly before installing it, that will also cause running issues, overflowing, etc if not correct.

Check the pulse line (between the engine and fuel pump) to make sure it is clear, they often get filled with oil and cause intermittent fuel delivery (especially when people rebuild a cart and put too much oil into the new motor). It takes awhile to accumulate to where it causes an issue, but when it hits that point it can be a real stumper.
Good old Chinese quality control

Looking at the inside of my fuel bowl, it did look like the float was set to low.
But the plastic seemed so bridle I was scared to try to bend it.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
Good old Chinese quality control

Looking at the inside of my fuel bowl, it did look like the float was set to low.
But the plastic seemed so bridle I was scared to try to bend it.

Ain't that the truth Gearhead!!! On a positive note I got a lead on a OEM carb for $160, so I will be putting some money aside for that purchase.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

[QUOTE=guyboy1970;1406899]Ain't that the truth Gearhead!!! On a positive note I got a lead on a OEM carb for $160, so I will be putting some money aside for that purchase.[/QUOT

Guess that's why most of us have the China carb, $160 vs $18 ouch!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #9
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

[quote=Gearhead1956;1406991]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyboy1970 View Post
Ain't that the truth Gearhead!!! On a positive note I got a lead on a OEM carb for $160, so I will be putting some money aside for that purchase.[/QUOT

Guess that's why most of us have the China carb, $160 vs $18 ouch!
Gearhead, from my searching around the interweb $160 is a good price, but maybe I been looking in the wrong places LOL! From the EZGO website...below. This is our carb right?

CARBURETOR ASSEMBLY - 2 VENT - 4MM
The 2-Vent Carburetor Assembly is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) replacement part used on 1993-2003 E-Z-GO 295cc 4-Cycle pre-MCI Engines. The carburetor regulates the flow of air and gas into the engine cylinders.

Item # 603901

ITEM # DESCRIPTION AVAILABILITY PRICE QTY
603901 Carburetor Assembly - 2 Vent - 4mm In Stock $265.72/ea.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That's nuts!!

I can but a nice Holly for that.

I am going to keep an eye out for a OE carb the some one has laying around, and build it.

As brew stated, these China carb's will work. They just need some help. Mine is running fine since I tore it down completely and cleaned it. Time will tell.

I am sure someone on here has a OE carb on a shelf the would sell for $20
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO