lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
freshdaymusic
Not Yet Wild

Default Installed 4” economy lift kit. Have some questions.

I installed the 4” lift kit on my G16 today and it was fairly straightforward. But I’m noticing it rides a bit stiff now. The lift doesn’t affect suspension or travel so I’m wondering if it’s possible to over torque the shock mounts and A-arm mounts so much that they aren’t moving easily? Also, my choke cable is now too short. Is this an issue with any lift on the G16’s? Just looking for reassurance that I did this all correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
freshdaymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Installed 4” economy lift kit. Have some questions.

It is very possible the stiffness is designed in. When a vehicle is raised the center of gravity is higher and slightly stiffer suspension helps stabilize a taller vehicle.

It would help if you explain what lift you have. Brand, vendor, etc.

If you changed to larger, lower profile tires that would contribute to a stiffer ride than stock too. Make sure you start with about 15psi in the new tires and adjust from there for stability and ride comfort.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That looks like the 4" steeleng kit I used on my G14. What has basically happened in the rear that 4"s of preload has been added to your engine cradle as the front pivot point has not been lowered, hence the stiffer ride. I started running slightly lower air pressure in my tires to compensate for the lift kit.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I had the same lift kit on my G9. Never again... made a good riding cart ride like I was driving a rollerskate

Theres a bug difference between a $70 lidt kit and a $300 lift kit.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:02 AM   #5
freshdaymusic
Not Yet Wild

Yep, ok. That’s what I figured. This kit was $55 and it really does work and wasn’t hard to install but I’m convinced I need to go with the jakes spindle kit or A-arm kit but the rear part of that kit didn’t seem much different from this one maybe I’m missing something. But yeah the preload on the rear carrier must be to blame. This is the kit I have. It came with more parts than this but yeah it’s this kit:

Old 04-10-2019, 02:00 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I loved, and hated my 4" econo lift kit, the front tires rubbed (bottom of floor mat area, and factory mud flap area), the rear tires rubbed (metal piece at bottom edge of body flank). The front was constantly shifting back&forth, alignment always wacky. Tightening bolts every 2 weeks. But the good side, it was super cheap, and never broke (just shifted all the time). I would get out, and kick the tire to "fix the alignment" to get home from the desert.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:41 AM   #7
freshdaymusic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I loved, and hated my 4" econo lift kit, the front tires rubbed (bottom of floor mat area, and factory mud flap area), the rear tires rubbed (metal piece at bottom edge of body flank). The front was constantly shifting back&forth, alignment always wacky. Tightening bolts every 2 weeks. But the good side, it was super cheap, and never broke (just shifted all the time). I would get out, and kick the tire to "fix the alignment" to get home from the desert.

Haha. That pretty much sums it up. At this point, I have things sorted out pretty good. I only have 20” tires on there so currently I have zero rubbage anywhere. Using red loc-tite on the hardware has so far prevented any loosening issues. But the front tires definitely have an alignment issue I’m not sure I can fix. For now I’ll live with it.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I looked back to see when I installed the steeleng kit. It was may of 2015. I did red loctite all the grade 8 hardware on installation. It has never shifted or any of the bolts loosened. That is now over 300 hours but all on mainly roads of some sort. The only place I had an issue was the rear sway bar extension bracket loosening. In short order I welded it up to the carts mount and that solved the problem. P.S. This is a cart than has ran @ 45 mph.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:08 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I know it don't mean squat, since I have a G2, but these tires will rub on a econo lift for sure. 22"s. I like them, the only thing they hate is sloppy mud. Glad I rarely see that here. Too much "shenanigans and jumps" I suppose. Guess I'm nicer to my cart now days! I guess the point is, don't expect the "cheapo" kit to be awesomer than the price! It's just good-enough. Not for any heavier duty/ "crazy action". Want a cheap/light work "lifted cruiser"? Might be right for you. Avoid banging into any bigger stationary objects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190412_005408978.jpg (46.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190412_005359345.jpg (47.2 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I had a TXT with those tires, they do well. I really liked them, my carts never see pavement. I currently have the Sahara classic 22x11-10, just because I got all 4 for $100 brand new :) same center tread, but the outside lugs are a bit more aggressive. Haven't had them in anything but grass and really soft dirt yet, but they do well for the price! Had them on for about a month now, and still haven't worn the nubs off the center part of the tread yet lol

My G9 had 20x10x10 turf tires. Agreed, no chance of going any bigger than that without either rubbing or some pretty significant "trimming" of rocker panels. Especially in the rear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190404_162601.jpg (335.0 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha