lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
twerking
Not Yet Wild

Angry G29 stability issues

I have a G29 with a 3" spindle lift kit.no matter how slow you are going if you are driving on uneven ground the cart will try and tip. Driving around 90 degree turns you have to watch it with more than 2 ppl on board. Whats the deal? Suspension too stiff and cart to top heavy or suspension to soft? Any ideas?
twerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: G29 stability issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by twerking View Post
I have a G29 with a 3" spindle lift kit.no matter how slow you are going if you are driving on uneven ground the cart will try and tip. Driving around 90 degree turns you have to watch it with more than 2 ppl on board. Whats the deal? Suspension too stiff and cart to top heavy or suspension to soft? Any ideas?
Not knowing your experience with lifted vehicles, here is my 2 cents...
In my younger years I spent a lot of time around many lifted vehicles on and off road, of varying quality.

I don't have direct experience with Yamaha carts. However, when it comes to vehicles and lifts, the "rules" are the same ish…

3" lift doesn't sound like much. But think about the cart at stock height, change that by 3" and the percentage is quite a lot (too early to do the math). The center of gravity is raised a lot and this is what causes the tippy feeling. Spindle lifts give you "the look", they cause way worse drivability. An A-arm lift will give you the look and better suspension for "pretty good" drivability. A Double A-arm lift will give you the look and better suspension for "good" drivability. Then you could look at long travel lifts, but that's in another realm of cost.

Hope this helps...
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Was your cart always riding rough post-lift? I did a lift on a Club Car last year. Pre-lift it drove perfect whereas post-lift (which involved new wheels and tires of course) the cart was all over the road. I realigned the cart and things were perfect again.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Alignment and possibly heavier coil over springs & shocks on the rear would help. It's been discussed here before that the G-29's are light in the front end. The seating position is actually pushed back a bit compared to some other carts. I measured from the kick up in the floor to the base of the front seat backrest & a G-29 is 4" longer than a Club Car DS in that dimension, but the wheelbase is pretty much the same. Then most of us put a seat & passengers back there - almost all behind the rear axle centerline. Then lift it and you've got lots of weight where it was never intended to be.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

meimk hit the nail on the head it couldn't be explained any better. When I got my cart it came with a 6" lift, 23" tires, and a rear seat, I had the same problems as you. The heavy duty rear springs will help with the body roll and adjusting the toe, in the front will help it to track straight. I did cut out some spacers out of some 3/16" plate and installed one on each front shock to stiffen up the front end which also helped. I went as far as installing a steering dampener on the front end which helped hold things straight going down the road.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-thread-3.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...thread-10.html

Look down each page to find the corresponding post.
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #6
bryguy39
Gone Wild

Hey Limited, can you post some pics of what you have done? would like to see some options . I do have the Jakes rear coils on my shocks and helped quite a bit, trying to limit more of the front body roll.

Thanks, Bryan
bryguy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

bryguy39 most of my post with pictures of what I have done are in the (Yamaha G29/YDR/Drive Club thread). If you go to my profile page, my photo gallery also has pics of what I have done.
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha