lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
Tinkerer007
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 starts and goes well, but after stopping is hard to get going again.

I am helping out my son's high school baseball team. They use the cart to drag the baseball infield.

They mentioned that it hasn't been running well and is hard to start after it has stopped. If they wait 5 minutes it will go again.

I took the bowl off the carburetor, and it didn't look dirty. The fuel shutoff float pin had a ring around it where it seats. I cleaned it as well as I could with my fingers and re-assembled. I also checked the plug. It looked normal, not black and gunky. The air cleaner didn't look too dirty.

Went for a drive and it goes well at full throttle until you stop, and then it is hard to get going again. I tried pumping the throttle pedal, pulling the choke... and then it randomly revs up and starts going. I suspect it is the starter motor turning the engine till it starts, and not the engine idling (after reading in these forums). How to tell if the engine is idling or the starter is turning the motor? It is a little strange that it shuts off if the throttle pedal is not pressed.

I checked the fuel level and it was pretty low, so I put more fuel in. Same behavior.

I was looking around in the engine area looking for something wrong, and found a crack in the hose from the crankcase to the fuel pump. Still same behavior.

I was thinking it is the fuel pump not working well until it gets going and then it works well at high RPM, but not sure how it gets started.

TIA

Bob

(They also have another cart that is not working. Seems to not be starting. It looks like a newer model, but I will focus on one at a time.)
Tinkerer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 starts and goes well, but after stopping is hard to get going again.

On the G1 it could be a lot of things.

The right thing is to check compression. These engines are notorious for having leaking crank seals, this causes a loss of compression and running issue. Also look around the crankshaft area for oil drips, this is a sure indication of worn crank seals.

It could still be in the basics. Check spark, check fuel delivery, clean the carburetor jets with carb spray. Don't try to run it on ether/starting fluid as this can damage the engine on a 2 stroke. If it won't run on good clean gas, somethings wrong.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha