lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
Lighterisbetter
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Rookie needs a cover

I need to purchase a cover for my newly acquired Yamaha gas 1999. Anyone steer me to a place I can get one?

Thanks,
Robert
Lighterisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2019, 02:01 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Rookie needs a cover

A cover? Please be a bit more specific. Do you need a air cleaner lid? Do you need air shroud covers for the motor? Seat covers?

I suspect you may be referring to a weather enclosure, but, that only opens up a whole new can of worms. What type/style do you like? Are you looking for new or used? (Would avoid used).

Do you want one that you just "toss over the top & strap down with elastic bands"? (The cheap kind). Do you want one with sliding doors like shower curtains? Do you want one with hinged doors? Do you want solid doors (not fabric/vinyl)? The price difference is from roughly $150 to over $1k, it's a wide range.

If you buy the cheapest one you can find, don't be mad when it's quality disappoints you. The cheapest ones are pretty lame. And all the ones that attach with elastic straps, well those straps are usually the first part to go out. A quality one should be professionally installed, and will cost hundreds. (Quality means fits good, no sags & wrinkles, minimal air gaps, snaps/buttons instead of elastic straps). I will add that some "nice/expensive" enclosures are plagued with mismatched brackets, hardware & poor/sometimes "a total joke" instructions (when you decide to do it yourself, that's why I suggest professional install). If you want cheap & "throw over the top & strap down", I can't suggest which one, they all suck & can be had anywhere.

The problem for a G19 is this, many different roofs are commonly seen on those, and the "throw over the top" ones may not fit perfectly from one roof style to the next. (Just because it says "fits G19" could mean diddly-squat). If you have, or want a rear seat kit, everything's out the window, the mounts for the kit can pretty much wreck the intended installation.

If you think I have a overly negative view on these enclosure things, you would be absolutely correct, we install many of them every week, of several different types & brands, on several different brands/models of carts. I'm not the shops "enclosure guy", but I do work right next to him!

If you really want a good one, and are willing to spend more than "bottom dollar", go to your trusted shop, and actually talk to the guy who will be installing it. He will know which ones work nice for what you have (it would help if he can see the cart), tell them if you intend to change it later (they should suggest that you wait until your modifications are done). This is assuming they install several types of enclosures, not only offering one brand/type. If your local shop is good at this, they can make a cheap enclosure be much nicer with a good install not using the "one size fits all" approach of the "rubber bands & sticky velcro" to hold it on. We have done magic with lame stuff (installed with snaps instead of "bungie cords", nice tight fit) you get the idea. If you have/know someone who has a snap setter, you can sometimes make garbage work like gold. Unless it just will not fit your roof, hey, we are experts, not magicians!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:28 AM   #3
Lighterisbetter
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Looking for a cover like you would use on a car to protect from the environment since I don’t have covered location for it. I have a G9 I’m told. Please see attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 31285BB7-9442-477F-ACAF-47D05720B0BE.jpeg (430.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9A4E1254-5870-4B6F-88E0-D1089D48B992.jpg (30.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 02:48 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

What, wait, you said 1999, not G9! Two totally different animals, a 1999 would be G16, not the same at all. For your G9, all you can get is a "toss over the top" enclosure. And since every roof is totally different on a G9 , never seen a "factory roof", who knows if it will fit. Get on them internets & get one. If you buy the cheapest, you get the cheapest.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:56 AM   #5
Lighterisbetter
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I was told it was a 99. After further inquiry here another member identified it as model G9. Since I don’t have it with me until it’s delivered Saturday I’m not sure what I got. Just glad to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-20-2019, 03:17 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Don't get me wrong, I effin' love G9's, they are great, the pic is all G9. The problem is, G9 was out of production in 1999. When you get it, flip the seat up, look near the middle of the area where the seat hinges, but in the engine compartment side. You should find a aluminum tag rivited to the frame. The first three characters should be "JG5" then a dash "-" , then 6 numbers. The first character of the 6 numbers will help indicate it's true model year. (I'll send a pic, but mine will be different numbers. But where to look for it).
Old 09-20-2019, 03:27 AM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Here's where you'll find the SN. I hope all the airbox & stuff is still there on yours, so you will easily recognise this on yours, it's getting difficult to find, and requires carb parts to tune if it's not. Yes, I know mines "scuzzy looking", it's my beater & only gets washed by rain & mud. This one of mine is a G2, but same (my SN starts with J55 instead).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190920_012357.jpg (55.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:37 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

I've got a flock of them, 3 G-2s & a G-9. Best gas carts ever, for overall reliability.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:39 AM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Do you mean a cover for storage, or a weather enclosure for use while driving? For use while driving is what I thought you were looking for.

For storage, I got this one on cheap sale, but the desert sun + monsoon winds ate it up after about 4 years. Now I use it as a rain blocker for my seat only (with anything I can find to hold it down).

It had a little reinforcements at the 4 roof corners, and "rubber band" built in at the bottom to hold it. The rubber band did good in most wind, but real high wind could beat it. Ultimately, the desert sun is what won, with rips starting at the roof corner areas. I would probably buy it again, if it was on a good sale again. I got it on sale price, but also at "dealer price" on sale, so I better not say exactly what I paid for it. It was just big enough for my lifted cart to get around the tires, but would not work for a cart with a rear seat installed. Would likely not be big enough to clear that box on the back of the cart you are getting. (Or not big enough to get around the bottom half of the rear tires). That cover is not exclusive to that brand name, I have seen it elsewhere with different names. Maybe they have one for carts with a rear seat kit, that would be better because it could get closer to the ground. I dont know what kind of wind it might see where your at. (I live on a hill & wind gets right on through here with only my big pine tree as obstruction)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190920_013958757.jpg (172.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 04:07 AM   #10
Lighterisbetter
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Just to protect it from weather that is mild here. Attached is picture I took of engine I’ll have more information when it’s delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha