lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Headlights vs a small bar vs common upgrade options? Noob here

Is there a thread about all the upgrades, things to do and to avoid? Here are my thoughts and summary about headlights after reading a bunch of posts.

I have a g16. The headlights are dangerously dim on a non lit street, forest after a hunt, etc. It shines maybe 20 ft in front of me. I'm thinking that the bulb design H3 in a small housing limits the output options just like in a car upgrade. So your options are new housing with a larger/better reflector, a new bulb that over heats too much and kills the LED fast in the small original housing, HID projector at $200+, or a light bar at $20.

Original housing upgrade:

1.) New housing or bulb with 30 watts or more per bulb each and the battery would die quickly with the cart off just like a car. Mine has an accessory switch option on the key/ignition to run just the lights or stereo which could be handy if I had to do something at night and need light.

2.)The small housing would create too much heat vs a heat sink on a light bar or two small spot bars.

3.) LED bulb will more than likely glare out on coming traffic if the housing is designed like a car housing and the bulb is not designed well for that housing.

If I was going to do 30 watts each bulb why not get a complete upgrade and go to a mini morimoto HID projector that are made for motorcycles and have the cut off line and are like oem car projectors giving you a safe output that doesn't blare oncoming traffic. Plus they will not die from heat like an LED. They would be in there own housing as well.

After all the reading. I think this is my plan - I think I'm going to find some white Xenon H3 bulbs for a little more light. Then add a couple small 18 watt lights bars for the forest and roads with no lights. Maybe a left and right bar also. Then put the bars on a switches encase there is any reason to have lights on with the cart off. If I have one pointed forward and use that w the motor off, then 18 watts vs two 55w bulbs (= 110 watts) would be 84% less battery usage.

Give me your experienced opinions or ideas. Am I missing anything before I go with my plan? Are there any good aftermarket housings? I wouldn't even mind cutting plastic if they were way better like some new thing for the newer carts. I have a feeling the bars on the back of my truck that have worked for more than 5 years are my best bet and way less draw than two 55 watt LED bulbs.

These are them:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G620ZVU..._fU4PEbC4YRCG7

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Stewbuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Headlights vs a small bar vs common upgrade options? Noob here

What headlights do you have? I've got 2 of those spot lights and LED headlights. No problems. A 12" light bar has plenty of light.

Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
What headlights do you have? I've got 2 of those spot lights and LED headlights. No problems. A 12" light bar has plenty of light.

The have regular bulbs in the glass housing that are shaped just like yours. Are your LED bulbs ones that you can swap out, or all-in-one? Just added the side lights using the oem roof mount bolts this evening. It worked perfectly and I routed the wire through the window frame tubing. Front lights go on tomorrow. In the pasture the lights went forever. Here's a forest pic of the passenger side.

That's a sweet setup you have. What winch mount did you use? I fab'd a plate and winch sandwiched on the square tubing at the front of my ezgo matathon, along with some chuncks of square tubing. The Yamaha is way different where the A-arms come together. All I could think of was using the bumper bolts, so maybe a quick mount would be nice and look good. I'm debating a brush guard vs Clay's basket for mounting front lights too.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

The one thing I might add here for you or perhaps others, is some states/localities that allow carts on the street require 2 headlights.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
The one thing I might add here for you or perhaps others, is some states/localities that allow carts on the street require 2 headlights.
I'm def going to keep the OEM or something equivalent there. The bar would mount somewhere else up front.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbuntu View Post
I'm def going to keep the OEM or something equivalent there. The bar would mount somewhere else up front.

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:38 PM   #7
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Saw this winch Fab / setup

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=38077

Taptalk link

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Old 04-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbuntu View Post
That red cart turned into the green one. The cable going thru the bumper wasn't a great idea, but the winch is still mounted the same way.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
That red cart turned into the green one. The cable going thru the bumper wasn't a great idea, but the winch is still mounted the same way.
Haha I just saw that was your red cart.

Two of my switches and another set of lights came in yesterday. I added another square light up front. Sometimes I stop at 4 gates and that's seems like a lot of power being used with the cart not running. So 18 watts shouldn't run the battery down much. I'll see if it's bright enough tonight, but the ones facing to the side seem great.

After hunting last week the lights died in a couple minutes as we loaded up my friends truck using the lights. However it was an old battery and I got a new one the next day. It just sucked to get stranded 1/4 mile from my house where I had a jumper box in my truck. I'm sure the loose starter generator belt didn't help as well for charging the battery (I bought the cart the week before).

If that area where the switches are was just a half inch larger in each direction I could have used the thin frame blue seas Marine Codura toggle switches. I thought these push button switches would be the next best thing. Stainless steel w/ back lighting and not a cheezy auto store switch. The back lighting is actually blue not turquoise, wierd camera lighting.

Next when more switches come in I need to move that old toggle switch for the lights just below the new switches. And make it the newer style switch. Maybe a rear light off the back of the roof to shine down on the flat bed/ back seat area for organizing at night etc.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #10
Dave in VA

Yamaha

How did you mount the light on the bumper?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha