lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
woodyking
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO ST 4x4 questions

Hi Guys, I just got a 4x4, been working on it all day, changing, adjusting, etc., big question, I have a hard clunk with a jerk when coming off idle as the tranmission engages. Does this forward or reverse, in or out of 4x4, doesn't matter. This is after I put it into gear, when I start giving it the gas... the engine picks up some, then bang, then it is all smooth until coming to a dead stop again.
Anyone had this problem? The guy I bought it from said it was like that when he got it and lived with it. I can't do that, it sounds brutal and I know it's supposed to be smooth....... Could maybe the drive clutch be sticking and suddenly coming in on the belt? Maybe need grease or something like that? Could it be an electric interlock or ??? I couldn't find a manual yet, checked ebay and the ezgo website, would like to have my hands into it now instead of waiting until they open on Tuesday. Thanks for any advice or experiences, Woody King playing in the yards of Georgia!
woodyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO ST 4x4 questions

Can you "see" anything out of the ordinary? I know it's a 'no help' question to ask - but what do you see when you hear the 'Clunk"?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
woodyking
Not Yet Wild

I'm sitting on the cart and only see the drive in front of me.., but tomorrow I'm going to pull the plastic clutch cover and block it up and watch what's happening. It's a very hard jerk, with a bad bad sound, like all the play is being taken up in the driveline instantly. Like someone hits the cart in the rear with a 10 lb hammer, I'm serious, that about describes it, both sound and feel. It would be impossible to 'inch" forward, the first move is about a foot, and it is instant. The engine revs some before this happens, no matter how smooth I give it throttle, the WHAM happens just when the engine gains some rpm. Then smooth as silk the rest of the way. Thanks, any thoughts? Woody
Old 09-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd put it up on jack stands on all 4 corners and see what happens when you give her some throttle. Don't operate the clutch / engine without the drive belt on

Old 09-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
woodyking
Not Yet Wild

Well, here it is. I put it on stands, pulled the cover. all looked great, cleaner than I expected. Started and watched, the drive clutch would go in about 1/8" on the shaft, then pause, then with a little more rpm it would move in fast. I did it with the parking brake on to mock as if it was sitting on the ground. I sprayed it all with copper antisieze, helped but didn't fix. I took out the center bolt and added one washer, about 1/8" thick to hold the moving part in more, being careful that I didn't close it to where it would be touching the belt at idle. Totally fixed the jerk!!!! I proceded to change all gear boxes to full syn gear lube, adjust the parking brake, tie up anything I thought might hang on a stick or whatever, and am very happy now!!! Woody

Ps, I had to tap on a wrench to break loose the center bolt on the clutch, it dumped a cup full of wear dust on me for my efforts..... Learning as I go here.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Eye protection and an old shirt every time

Glad you got it fixed - keep us posted

Old 06-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
wwhitfill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

New to the forum, first time posting here... So I have this exact same situation. I have a 2005 ST 4x4, no modifications, 300 hours on the vehicle. When I start the vehicle, the clutch hits in only after reving up the engine. Then I get the "clunk" and the vehicle moves. Then the clutch engages pretty much normal. It is every time I start the engine. I tried adding the washer as described above but that did nothing at all. Any advice? Thanks in advance. -WW
wwhitfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #8
woodyking
Not Yet Wild

Sir, the washer you added, was the center hole large enough to go over the shaft and move the clutch in some? Just a washer under the bolt won't do any good. I just reread my old posts and I wasn't very clear about this.

I don't remember if the clutch had ramps like many, if so, you might have a wear spot that could be sanded and polished off. Or it may need new ramp buttons.

I no longer have the 4x4, but do have 3 gas EZGOs. I just put stronger springs in both the drive and driven clutches on one we use at the beach, it really helped the torque big time.

Good luck, let us know what you find out, Woody
Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
M16er
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pics Pics Pics, everybody here LOVES Pics! Some have a hard time visualizing others interpretations, plus it gives us something to look at.
M16er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
wwhitfill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I installed the larger washer to move the clutch mechanism in about 1/8th inch in and tada... worked just like you said. I drove it all around the farm this weekend and it worked perfect. I used a Grade8 washer because everything else on this machine seem to be Grade8. Thanks for the post and sorry, but I forgot to take pictures too. Cheers.
wwhitfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO