lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #11
country1982country
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGo Brake Hub Question

I replace hubs on txt and st carts on a weekly basis I work for a rental company on the beach and our customers abuse our equipment pretty bad and I agree with the above comments only one suggestion about the hub not going on all the way look at your break adjusters and see how far the adjustment is turned out it may be that your new hub is thicker and is hittin your break shoes I have to tap them on all the time and I have yet to find an axel spline that is damaged when I tap them on its usually because the break shoes are not worn evenly and the new hub is thicker than the old wore out hub when the splines in the hub go out it usually wears the shoes unevenly
country1982country is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #12
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thx for the input! I wish I could get them that close to the brake shoes, but no... they don't want to start even at the very beginning. I lightly dremeled the very ends of the passenger side splines grooves, that has allowed for the hub to start but will only go on about a 1/4" and is very tight and is hard to pull off. I'm sure I could probably bang, I mean BANG them on with a small sledge, but afraid of ruining the hub and then needing to replace hubs and axles if I force them on. If someone could confirm that new hubs usually have to be banged on and don't just slide on and off then I'll give it a try! PS - I do have the adjuster screw for the shoes turned all the way in.
D-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #13
country1982country
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

if you have to use sledge its not normal
Old 06-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #14
country1982country
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

you can probably take a dremel and clean the spline groves a little bit but before you do that remove the other side and see if the new hub fits that spline that you know is good to make sure that they sent you a hub that is not defected or even the wrong part like I said I replace them all the time and have not run into the problem you are having yet the axel is made of hardened steel it usually doesn't give the soft metal in the break drum/hub is usually kinda like a fail safe that saves your axels from damage
Old 06-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #15
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Tried both sides and both new hubs. Passenger side had stripped hub, drivers side took an act of God to get off! It bent my 2 arm puller! I had to cut out slots at the edges of the hub so the puller could get a better bite, it was brutal, banging, spraying WD, letting it soak, more pulling, took several days, only pulled after I cut the slots for a better puller arm bite and then it took some force to turn the puller screw. Once off and the both splines wire wheeled, the rusted hub slides on either side. New hubs will not. Now of course the rusted hub I'm sure has worn so it should slide on easy!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you need new axles.
Rentals huh? I think a different set of rules apply. Bang it on put the cart back in service. Then order new axles and Ausco hubs to have on hand for the next time

PS
Be sure you are applying anti-seize to the axle and torquing the axle nut to spec minimal 100 Ft pounds to 140 ft pds

Once you do this you gotta ask yourself - What am I going to do with all my extra time? lol
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #17
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

If I changed out the axles (now or later) should the bear and seal be replaced or can they be reused?
Old 06-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A View Post
If I changed out the axles (now or later) should the bear and seal be replaced or can they be reused?
The bearing and seal should always be new with a new axle
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #19
country1982country
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

yea if they were that hard to get off I agree with scotty make sure you have the splines aligned properly and force that mf on lol I would make sure your break shoes are good before forcing it back on and that your automatic adjuster is working properly because you don't want to have to pull them back off to change break pads or slack adjusters
Old 06-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #20
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I would pull the brake shoes off and then see if the hubs will slide on. If yes then I would start wondering if you were sent the correct brakes. If the stars are all the way in that hub should slide easily over the shoes.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO