lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #41
clovold
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 88 2pg runs poorly even after rebuild, etc. aaauuuggh!

Ok, so I put in an electric fuel pump and let the old fuel pump circluate in a closed loop to avoid leaks.

It runs exacly the same.

I did some more driving to test it out and get more data.

It can barely make it up the hill by my house in forward. It sputs and stutters if you can get it over 10 mph. If you coast it will backfire loudly when you get back on the gas.

In reverse it runs like a freight train! Spinning tires up the hill, plenty of acceleration on level ground, and if I coast and get back on the gas it never backfires.

In short, it runs like crap in forward and runs exactly how I would like it to run in reverse.

A friend of mine suggested that it might be an issue with timing only in forward. Interesting. There are two nubs on the fan/flywheel thing. I assume that they are to give it different timing in forward vs. reverse, and the first nub that is picked up buy the transducer fires the coil. If, for some reason, the forward nub isn't getting sensed it would pick up the second one and fire on the downward stroke, well after top dead center, making it run like crap and backfire because the sparkplug is firing when the port to the exhaust is open.

So, if that is the case, why isn't it picking up the forward nub? Could this be an issue with the pickup transducer thing? Ideas?
clovold is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #42
redcloud
Gone Wild

Well, I am going to throw some thing out there that may have an issue giving your problem. Just a thought but not totally looked at by me via any diagram. Is it possible, that you have some wires in the wrong locations dealing with the forward and reverse box/s/g? Is it poss that timing may be changed somewhat from a forward located lever than a reverse? Thus giving a premature or goofy firing in now forward but not reverse? If it was my cart, I would do a very complete and detailed look at every wire location with diagram to make sure you are not dealing with the issue described.
I say this as you have tried everything else and should have found the problem by now.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #43
clovold
Not Yet Wild

OK, I got it running 'better'. I noticed that the pulse ring on the flywheel was worn on the bottom of the nubs. I filed and worked them a bit to get the shape better, cleaned it really well and move the pulser pickup a bit farther back from the ring. It no longer sputters when it gets up to speed and no longer backfires, but it is down on power and still runs better in reverse. I suppose I could try to locate a new pulse ring.

It still can't pull the trailer up the hill (it used to) but I'm going to call it good enough. Yeesh, what a long painful repair.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #44
redcloud
Gone Wild

Just wondering if you have ever thought of a dragging brake?
I have that problem that just hit me this weekend. I found that after I trailered the cart with the hill brake tight that I seem to have made the cable stick. I could not even coast down a very steep grade or get a good amount of speed untill I played with the peddle by hitting it with my foot and all of a sudden down the hill I would go and speed for a while till, I hit the brakes again or went in reverse. i have not checked out what is sticking yet but will in next few days.
Just another thought for you to ponder. When it ruins good I can creep up any hill steep enough to just about go over backwards.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #45
clovold
Not Yet Wild

It rolls just fine, so the brake isn't dragging. Plus, it's fast in reverse.

I'm just going to leave it for now. It still backfires a little after coasting sometimes, but not nearly as bad. It cimbs hills fine by itself, just not enough torque to pull a 300lb trailer up that hill like it used to.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #46
redcloud
Gone Wild

I would still, if you have not already, check the wiring for proper routing from the F/R switch to make sure you do not have some wiring switched. Am not totally sure it could even happen but it is strange how it goes like a banchee in reverse but is not a good top ender in forward. I know they run in forward and reverse as far as the engine goes but is the timing reading the same in reverse as reverse is usually just a spurt of slow speed? Maybe some one knows this out there. If I get a chance i am going to check my service manual to see if I can decipher this thought.
If it did the hills before, it sure should now.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #47
madeeter
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i had the same thing happen . found bad green field wire going to starter/gen
madeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #48
clovold
Not Yet Wild

It turned out to be a bent crank. I gave up and sold it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO