lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 9 batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Lead-acid cells are 2V and you pack as many 2v cells in a box as needed to get the desired battery voltage.

I suspect the previous owner worked someplace that used 4V batteries in their battery back-up system.

Each of the 3 rows in the attached picture is 48V, but it might be difficult to fit them into a cart.
Yeah, but the range is unbelievable!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #12
cgtech

Yamaha

Those cells look like 12v cells setup in a "series/parallel" configuration. Its like 3 seperate (3x 12v) 36v packs teamed up. I feel that your stock ezgo charger is not built to properly charge that type of battery (it will work, but could result in shorter lifespan). Look a little more closely on the sides of the batteries for more labeling?
Old 04-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #13
Fireplug808
Not Yet Wild

Ok. I'm at the firestation today. I will check them out tomorrow and put a meter on them too. My son plugged it in this afternoon after riding it so it will be charged when I get home tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. Love a forum that actually helps people.
Fireplug808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #14
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with Tony, those look like 12v batteries. The way they are wired there are just 3 really big 12v batteries in series for 36v total (three 12v in parallel and those 3 packs paralleled in series). That would make a huge Ah pack at the expense of extreme weight.

You would need a 30 amp charger minimum to charge a pack that size sufficiently. That charger would most likely be a 220v charger too as most home circuits couldn't supply that much dc current over a standard 115vac circuit.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #15
Fireplug808
Not Yet Wild

So if that's the case what do yall recommend?
Old 04-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #16
cgtech

Yamaha

I doubt that each cell is that high Ah (total pack Ah is likely below 250ah), i would just let it be for now. Find out more info on the specific cells, and consider getting a Dpi charger better suited to those cells. If you decide to go back to regular golf cart batteries one day, the Dpi can easily be switched (by you) to a "golf battery" friendly mode.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #17
Fireplug808
Not Yet Wild

Checked each battery and I have 12.9.v. 38.9 volts at the total pack. Can't seem to get a amp reading on my meter. So that being said. Do I get a dpi charger or just go with it. The guy said these batteries are 5 years old. So not sure if it would be worth spending the money on the new charger.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Please back off a little further to take a picture so we can see all 18 battery posts and all the cables.

I don't see anything that says or indicates they are 4V batteries.

That might be a 3X3 series/parallel matrix of 12V batteries.

------------------
Oops!!!! Didn't realize there was a second page until after I posted.

Lots of others reached the same conclusion.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 04-12-2015 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Added stuff
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
Fireplug808
Not Yet Wild

That's what it is johnnieb.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #20
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What are your goals with this cart? With 5 year old 12v batteries I see no reason to buy a new charger for it just yet. Your existing charger will just take a very long time if the batteries are run down low.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO