lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
tha5150
Getting Wild

Default Sell or keep and get new batteries?

Had for about a year, wrapped in cammo vinyl i got free from work. $125 for tires ended up getting $100 from Fedex for bending a rim, $100 4" lift, bought for $400.

87 Marathon basically i own for $525 with 4" lift and 22" trail tires.

Batteries are going bad, not too sure if it is just a cell or a whole battery or a couple. Need some suggestions. We do not ride it (3 girls under 5 and wife) because we do not trust the batteries. i could probably get away with replacing the one or two for as much as we ride it and be fine with it. it is only a neighborhood cart to calm the kids down when they start getting ancy around the house.

my question is, would i be OK with a battery or two as needed for the 36v system or do i absolutely have to replace all 6? i also need to replace the Coil Resistor that is broke in half on the mount. Is this needing replaced of it is still all together or does this effect the batteries or speed? i believe i have all 4 speeds so that isn't a problem.

This is only a 10 min cart to use for the kids or around the block type thing. not wanting to spend any more money that i must.

please be honest with me guys.. thanks!
tha5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Sell or keep and get new batteries?

Have you measured the battery pack and each individual battery voltages? How did you determine the batteries are going bad?
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
tha5150
Getting Wild

after it sits for a week, i have to disconnect the first battery and charge it separately for 30 min before the pack will take the cycle and charge all normally.

pretty sure i can take it around the block once before it dies but i am not 100%.. maybe i just let it set before charging back up..

i will take readings tonight and post back results. anything specifically i need to do? just check each battery's volts/amps?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #4
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

New batts and resistor coil will make cart reliable.

New batts and controller upgrade (ScottieB) and you will have a very reliable cart.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
tha5150
Getting Wild

How much for option 2? Option 1 price with cheap batteries?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Price another cart to replace the one you have so you can determine how much you can afford to spend to fix the one you have. .
Old 04-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
tha5150
Getting Wild

that's just it... if i were to sell it, i wouldn't get another. we have no need or property to ride around on. plus we have a boat we take out every weekend or so.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
CaptainPete
Getting Wild

Probably would need to know the date code of the batteries, if they are all equally as old. Have the cells been exposed because of low water? Personally I would be hesitant to piece meal batteries. I just replaced all of mine. I got 7 years out of them. New batteries revealed a new problem, F/R controller, then the motor, I ended up dropping about 1500 hundred, I was fortunate to have the money. Now I hope to be trouble free for a while. I use mine all the time, Im one of the few that use their cart to play golf. Post a pic of your cart, find the date codes on the batteries, people with foil hats will help you like they did me, ultimately the decision is yours, trying to sell a cart needing batteries is rough.
CaptainPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Try switching that first bat with another in the pack as this bat may be the one handling your 12 volt stuff and be a bit weaker than it should be. This may prevent you from needing to separately charge the first bat without getting new bats yet. Used bats are sometimes available , but my experience at pricing them reflects 1/2 price, but only 1/4 battery life left. New bats in an old set only weakens them before you wind-up replacing all bats. Old carts require fixes and resistor carts are old
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Why don't you evaluate each battery. If only one is real bad you might want to replace it with a used one. I do not recommend replacing one battery but it would give you a chance to see if that would fix it until the children grow up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO