lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
Wevil
Not Yet Wild

Default What next after freedom chip?

I just bought a lifted 2008 TXT PDS with 23 in tires. I have installed the "freedom chip" and am happy with the speed. I am next installing a rear flip seat. What would be the most cost effective mod for more power (torque, top speed is fine for me with the freedom chip). I will be hauling 4 adults on the cart and some of us have enjoyed drinking beer for many years and may pose a challenge for the cart to haul around.

Thanks,
John
Wevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What next after freedom chip?

When your stock PDS controller dies, replace it with an Alltrax XCT48500PDS controller.

Please note that I said "when" rather than "if". This is due to the 23" tires.
The 23" tires reduces the torque where rubber meets road by 22%, so the motor draws more amps, which in turn generate more heat in both motor and controller, hastening their demise. The stock motor can take more abuse than the stock controller, so the controller typically goes first.

I also suggested a XCT48500 rather than a XCT48400. This is due to 23" tires plus a rear seat.
The stock load capacity (driver, passengers and cargo) is only 800 pounds, which is pretty easy to exceed with four people than have been known to tip a few.

What top speed are you now getting? Should be upwards of 23.5MPH with 23" tires, unless something is holding the cart back.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
duder1982
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Good topic, sitting back and learning.
duder1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

AND as Johnnie suggested the 500 amp controller, at that time you should replace ALL of the High Current cables with 2 ga. cables. just drop a dime to Scotty at cartsunlimited.net and he can/will hook you up with both the cables and the controller.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Set controller @ 400a for stock motor, i learned the hard way. They will run great on higher amps, but not live a long life.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Wevil
Not Yet Wild

I just checked and the tires are 22" and actually measure 22. Does that make much difference?
Old 07-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wevil View Post
I just checked and the tires are 22" and actually measure 22. Does that make much difference?
Not in the overall picture. Taller tires effectively up the final gear ratio forcing the motor to ask for more amps and the controller to try and deliver said amps. The controller will be the weakest link eventually.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #8
Wevil
Not Yet Wild

What a shock from the 10 dollar chip verses the controller! I guess I need to start saving.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
What a shock from the 10 dollar chip verses the controller! I guess I need to start saving.
So one day I bought a golf cart. Few days later I though to myself, "Wonder how this goes faster?" You get the point.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
A golf cart is designed to transport two golfers and their clubs at about 15 MPH on 18" tall tires over groomed trails for about five or six miles in 18 increments of about 300 yards on a single battery charge. Some travel a little faster and most will go further on a single charge, but if you want a golf cart to do more than it was designed to do, the cart has to be upgraded.

Except for raising the center of gravity and reducing lateral stability, lifting the cart's body higher off the axles does not affect performance, but increasing the tire height to 22" does. Mathematically, the cart's speed is increased by 22% while the effective torque is reduced by 18%.

The insidious part is that it is essentially a balanced system and if anything is changed, it unbalances the system other changes have to be made to bring the system back into balance, or establish a new balance in a thermally more optimal operating range.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO