lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: alltrax monitoring option????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CART-ZILLA View Post
Johnnb I Saw in another thread someone had asked for you or you had put your run/tow switch ... with the stock cover not fit back over the new controller?if not how did you mount it?
In a box mounted to the body under the seat. (First attachment)
This location was originally part of a DCX400 upgrade.

Someone cut down the controller cover and mounted it in the same place. (Second attachment)
I don't have a picture, but others have used a plastic electrical junction box.

The third attachment shows the quick and dirty installation I did for some initial testing and de-bugging.
I received one of the first XCT-PDS controllers and while the controller itself was fine, the Alltrax installation instructions needed some tweaking, as did the factory default settings.

IE: The first time I very cautiously pushed the pedal, the tires spun on dry pavement and the cart headed backwards even though the F/R switch was in F.
Alltrax had the F1 & F2 cables switched in their documentation and the Throttle Rate was set to 85%. Switching the F cables and adjusting the Throttle rate down to 25% made the cart drivable, but still needed some tweaking here and there to domesticate it.

I had to mount the XCT high on the heatsink because the wires on the R/T switch were so short. It is still mounted the same, but the F1 & F2 wires are no longer bare wire under the bolts, the speed sensor is connected, the regen diode is installed (after the need for it became known) and a fan is installed.

When the weather warms up, I'm remounting the XCT using the optional mounting bracket, so I'll have to relocate the R/T switch or lengthen the wires. I'll probably go with the solenoid mounting bracket from Alltrax if I can get one without buying the whole kit since I already have the mounting adapter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0192.jpg (266.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg runtowswitch02.jpg (48.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg XCT - initial install.jpg (174.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #22
CART-ZILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just got mine in the mail and it has a hole on the solinoid mount for the run tow switch
CART-ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #23
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
IE: The first time I very cautiously pushed the pedal, the tires spun on dry pavement and the cart headed backwards even though the F/R switch was in F.
Alltrax had the F1 & F2 cables switched in their documentation and the Throttle Rate was set to 85%. Switching the F cables and adjusting the Throttle rate down to 25% made the cart drivable, but still needed some tweaking here and there to domesticate it.
I had the same experience on my first start. I switched the F cables, but it is still difficult to start smoothly. Is the throttle rate the answer? I went on the link you posted, but I'm not very computer literate. It looks kind of complicated.

What does "throttle rate" mean exactly?
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #24
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Throttle rate = how quickly the max available power is applied vs how quickly the pedal is pressed. Too high throttle rate will make it "jumpy", too low & it feels like a lazy stock controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #25
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Throttle rate = how quickly the max available power is applied vs how quickly the pedal is pressed. Too high throttle rate will make it "jumpy", too low & it feels like a lazy stock controller.
I don't want to limit max power or speed when I have the pedal on the floor. I just want it to start eazy. Mine Does nothing for the first 1/2" of pedal travel and then when you hear the selinoid click, it jumps. I'm worried because right now I have old batteries in it for testing and a mix of 4 and 6 Guage cables. When I put all 2 Guage and new batts, what's it going to be like?
Old 03-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
I had the same experience on my first start. I switched the F cables, but it is still difficult to start smoothly. Is the throttle rate the answer? I went on the link you posted, but I'm not very computer literate. It looks kind of complicated.

What does "throttle rate" mean exactly?
Throttle Rate is most of the answer, but Throttle Linearity and the Throttle Speed & Torque curves also influence how smoothly you can start and how precisely you can maneuver the cart when space is limited.

You can adjust those four settings so the cart comes off the line violently like a dragster, or smoothly like a luxury sedan, or someplace in between.

Each cart is different and each driver has different driving styles and desires, so there aren't any magic numbers that will work best for everybody. In all honesty, I haven't gotten my settings dialed in where I want them yet, but I am getting closer.

Throttle Rate: How quickly the controller responds electrically to a physical change in the position of the throttle pedal. In other words, if the cart is sitting still and you slam the pedal to the floor when the Throttle Rate is set to 100%, the controller instantly goes wide open and allows the motor to draw all the amps it is capable of drawing at zero RPM, the battery pack is capable of producing and the high current cables, connection and contacts are capable of delivering. If the Throttle Rate is set to less that 100%, the controller ramps up to wide open over a period of time, allowing the motor to start spinning before it is allow to draw all the amps available, thereby reducing the stress on the motor, drive train and the driver's neck.

Throttle Linearity: This is the physical position of the pedal vs the electrical position of the pedal that the controller sees. In other word, when the pedal is pushed halfway down, does the controller see the pedal as pushed halfway down, or all the way down, or a tenth of the way down. I prefer to have more finite control on the first half of pedal travel, so I tell the controller to interpret the pedal halfway down as 30% throttle. (See first attachment)

I also want some dead space at both ends of the pedal travel, so I tell the controller not to pass any amps until the pedal has been pushed 10% and to pass max amps when the pedal reaches 98% of its physical travel.

Throttle Speed curve: Voltage is speed and this setting controls the voltage output to the motor for any throttle position.

Throttle Torque curve: Amps are torque and this setting controls the maximum amp output to the motor for any throttle position.

I'm still experimenting with the last two settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Throttle Linearization - JBB.jpg (164.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
I don't want to limit max power or speed when I have the pedal on the floor. I just want it to start eazy. Mine Does nothing for the first 1/2" of pedal travel and then when you hear the selinoid click, it jumps. I'm worried because right now I have old batteries in it for testing and a mix of 4 and 6 Guage cables. When I put all 2 Guage and new batts, what's it going to be like?
Sounds like you might need to check the adjustment of the plunger and microswitch in the pedal box. Note: The voltages given on the second page is for a Curtis 1206MX controlled and will be different for an Alltrax controller.

The plunger shouldn't enter the ITS sensor before the microswitch contacts close. The NC (Normally Closed) contacts are used, so they close when the roller arm is released.

They should be some pedal travel before the switch contacts close.

If the plunger and microswitch are properly adjusted, you can eliminate the "jump" by modifying the Throttle Linearity curve so the controller does start putting out until the pedal has been pushed further.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITS Adjust Pg-1.jpg (153.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ITS Adjust Pg-2.jpg (143.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #28
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Soften your throttle curve like the picture that JohnnieB posted here. The more you soften the curve the less throttle response you will get at low throttle. You will still get full throttle with the pedal all the way.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #29
CART-ZILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

man i just put mine in and got done tweaking my throttle map its close to perfect for me and boy does it leave out now thanks scottyb
CART-ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #30
Helirich
Gone Wild

I hope the OP doesn't mind me mucking up his thread, but this is related.

I just got done trying to program my XCT500. Actually, my computer friend did it. I just drove. It seems to be better. All I can say is it's really hard to know what to do. We only had a short time before he left for south Florida. So I'm stuck with this till he comes back.

First, there was no page that said throttle rate. Do you guys mean throttle linerer? Do you change the speed or the torque? I think we ended up with a straight 45* line for speed and the torque a little steeper. We also set the reverse speed to 20 percent.

Part of my problem is the rear springs are so weak, that the cart tips back when you touch the throttle. The springs are for a stock cart and I have a flip seat and two batteries in the well. I'm getting new HD springs. So maybe that will help.

Anyways, my computer friend will be coming back in a few weeks. If you guys have it worked out better, I would like to know how to set it.

I wish someone (Alltrax) would explain in plain words exactly what everything does. If you guys have a good understanding. I would like a translation.

Edit, also we drove around with it in monitor mode. My motor only went to about 2700 rpm. The rpm limit was 6000. I don't know what my motor limit is. Should I change it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO