lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
droptine27
Not Yet Wild

Default Need more torque!

I have a 2003 ezgo txt/pds 48 volt cart lifted 24" tires xct500 controller and new emp high torque motor still lacking torque could I have some issues or should this not be a torque setup? Any help would be appreciated.
droptine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need more torque!

The 24" tall tires are costing you 25% of the torque the motor produces throughout the motor's RPM range. If they are low pressure tires (<10PSI max inflation pressure), the torque loss is greater than 25%.

Going from a stock 300A controller to a 500A controller increases the torque by 66%, but only at lower RPM.

Going from 36V to 48V increases the torque by 33% throughout the motors RPM range.

Not including the EMP motor's torque gain or loss, the theoretical net torque gain is about 8% throughout the motor's RPM range with an additional 66% torque gain while the motor is spinning at low RPM.

The cart ought to have better than stock acceleration from a standstill, but might slow down more going uphill than a stock PDS cart.

Batteries in poor health and or inadequate high current cables will reduce torque. Also, not running the correct Field Map for the motor will reduce performance.

In my opinion, your setup leans more towards speed than torque.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
droptine27
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JohnnieB what do you suggest I do to improve my torque?
droptine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

For a stock PDS use XCT400 for about 35% more torque.
But if you have big tires, rear seat + hills. Consider the XCT500 and High torque Motor.

My 08 PDS has the XCT500 and D&D 502 motor running on 42v. It has plenty of torque and tops out 24-25 mph on 20" tires.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The thing to do at this point is find out if you are getting the full performance from you XCT500 & high-torque motor setup with 24" tires.

Post print screens of the settings on your XCT, save & post data logs while driving in the locations where you don't have the torque you need/want.

Contact EMP and get some specs on the high-torque motor. IE: What % in torque does it have over stock. Also, max RPM at 48V.

Monitor the battery pack voltage. What does it drop to when going up a steep hill?

Push the cart by hand over a hard level surface. It takes a bit to get a half ton cart moving, but once it is moving it should push easy. Listen for dragging brake shoes or bad bearings.

------------
Also, what is the cart doing or not doing that leads you to believe you need more torque?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO